13" Aluminum MacBook vs 13" MacBook Pro - Display Quality?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eminemdrdre00, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

I can get a great deal on a 13" aluminum MacBook. Is there a big difference between it & the 13" MacBook Pro? Is the 13" MacBook Pro's display a lot better? Thanks!

I can get the used 13" Aluminum MacBook for $600 (~2 years of Apple Care left) or get a brand new low end 13" MBP. Is the MBP's screen $600 better?

2. Kendall015 macrumors regular

The 13" Al MacBook has an awful screen, unless it was built within a month of the release of the 13" MBP. I have the MacBook, and I wish I would've waited for the upgraded screen (and battery)

3. Eminemdrdre00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

It was purchased in November 2008 and I'll be taking a look at it in person before I buy. I just won't have a 13" MacBook Pro to compare it to. Thanks for replying, any other opinions?

I can get the used 13" Aluminum MacBook for $600 (~2 years of Apple Care left) or get a brand new low end 13" MBP. Is the MBP's screen $600 better?

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Define "great deal".

MBP also offers FW800, backlit keyboard, SD slot, better battery and LED screen.

5. Eminemdrdre00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Just updated the 1st post. Great deal is:

And its from my cousin, not someone sketchy online or anything. FW800, backlit keyboard & SD slot aren't important to me. Display quality & battery life would be though.

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Get the Pro then.
    2 hours more battery life with 1000 cycles and a MUCH better screen. The MacBooks screen is really, let's say, not nice. :p

7. DFTU101 macrumors member

I've had both the 13 inch MB aluminum and the newer 13 inch MBP. As stated above the screen is definitely better on the the MBP as I've seen them side by side. $600 with 2 years of Apple care seems like a decent deal but I'd still get the newer model with the better screen and the extras previously mentioned. Anyway when they update the MBP later this year (after the iPad launch as they've had problems in recent years launching multiple products at one time), you'll only be behind 1 generation with the newer model.

8. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    always buy new.
    the xtra buck$ are always worth it

hang off for 2 months (maybe less, maybe more) if you possible can, as a refresh with possible i3, i5, i7 Intel processors in the line-up is a distinct possibility.

;)

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

The screen on the 13 inch aluminum macbook is extremely disappointing. Not Apple like at all.

I bought my sister one for Christmas the year they came out and when I opened it to set it up I was disappointed to say the least.

She loves it but I think its because she hasn't seen better.

10. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

MUCH better? Really? I have a 13 inch alu MacBook and I can't tell the difference between it and the new ones. What is the difference?

11. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

I would go with the Pro. Reasoning is standard - FW 800, better screen, better battery, etc... I also have a friend, though, that has been through three or four of them. Apple finally sent him a 13" Pro, but he was without a computer for a while. I know everybody uses this next line, but I've got a buddy who does onsite for a certified Apple retailer. He's got all the certifications and really knows his stuff. He even says don't waste your money on the Aluminum MB. They never recommended them for anyone to buy, and they are the computer they see the most in the repair center.

If anyone's wondering, he helped start The Orchard in Lafayette, LA. It's legit. He knows his stuff. Stay away from the Aluminum MB!