13" and 15" rMBP resale value - common wisdom?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacLifer, Oct 30, 2012.

1. MacLifer macrumors member

From what I have seen, a Macbook in good condition can be sold for somewhere between 30-50% of its purchase price after 2-3 years.

Is it common wisdom (or general consensus) that the 15" rMBP will hold its resale value better than the 13" rMBP when it comes time to sell 2-3 years down the line? In other words, you might be able to get 50% for your 15" rMBP while maybe only 30% for your 13" rMBP.

2. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I wouldn't bet on too much with the retina versions.

As retina displays become more commonplace, the retail price of the next generations of these will most likely go down. The same happened to the MacBook Air, which also be came more efficient to produce. And cheaper new models will bring your selling price down.

So I wouldn't count on selling it well. Besides, you could break it or it could be stolen. Count on what you can afford and take the resale value as a bonus when you get a new one, that's how I always think anyway.

3. children macrumors regular

Just my opinion on this,

I think the computer industry is currently in a phase of change, a turning point if you will. The form factor, UI, etc is currently changing dramatically even now thanks to/because of windows 8/ ipad etc.

How much value current crop of computers will have in in 3-4 years time is not predictable, and IMO the historical resale values may not apply.

To sum up, as GekkePrutser, resale value is nice, but it shouldn't be a deciding factor for purchase.