13" and 3D

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LostSoul80, Oct 7, 2011.

1. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I'd really like to get a highend 13 inches MBP (the i7 dual-core @ 2,7 GHz). I do have a big external monitor to hook it up with -- I'd only need to use the MBP's screen for 3D tasks while having lesson.
    Is it powerful enough? Should I look at the 15" (quad core & dedicated graphic card), or the performance with software like SolidEdge is ok (bumping the RAM to 8 GB apparently bumps the memory of the IG3000)? (Of course I'm planning to use Bootcamp for this). Another concern is the screen resolution. Does it let you at least keep open a complete page of ST4 (for example) without problems?

Thank you in advance

2. LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

As long as your source material is 3D and your display can understand whatever 3D is send to it, then you should be fine.

4. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Personally, I don't think the MBP13 gives you the best performance for the things you will be doing with it. Wouldn't be my first choice anyway.

The 13" is just a great all purpose laptop with high portability value. You can "force" it to do heavy things but it's your time...

5. LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Thanks for the replies. I'm aware the 13-inches is probably not intended for heavy usage, but still its specs are not bad AFAICS.

6. SkaarjHunter macrumors newbie

I would personally go with a 15 inch model if you can afford it comfortably. The 13 inch models are really entry-level laptops, so they're not really made for 3D applications in general. Also, I'm not impressed with the 2011 model specs in terms of their 3D performance which is why I opted for last year's model over this year's.