13" April 2010 MBP Optical Drive Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by telarmago, May 20, 2010.

1. telarmago macrumors member

Hello,

Whenever I start up my 13" April 2010 MBP, there is a sound from the optical drive. This used to happen with my old MacBook - no big deal. However, when I got this laptop, it did not do this - this issue has arisen only lately. The EFI 1.8 notes says that this issue is resolved. I downloaded it and tried to run it, getting a message that my MBP is already up to date. I've reset the PRAM and SMC as well, to no avail.

Any ideas? Anyone else experience this?

Edit - Just reread the EFI 1.8 patch notes. It says it removes the sound for wake up from sleep, which I can confirm does not happen. Maybe I'm remembering wrong? Anyone with the 13" April 2010 MBP also have the optical drive make a bunch of noise on startup?

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I don't believe there is anything wrong with your system. When I applied the EFI update to my late '08 15" MacBook Pro, the only time the SuperDrive did not make a noise was when the system resumed from sleep. When powering it on, it still did, which I believe is perfectly normal. Just think for a second; the noise you're hearing is the drive checking if media is present; it needs to know when you turn the computer on so it can see if the media is bootable. I think you're probably mistaken.

3. AndrewCjDuong macrumors member

yea im pretty sure it does that with mine too and mines a 2009 model.

4. telarmago thread starter macrumors member

Sounds good to me, I must've remembered incorrectly. Thanks guys!

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Mine does, a little annoying :p
    I wish it was just silent like most laptops upon start up ahah.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That would need a tray loading drive. I don't think you want a tray loading drive on your shiny Mac.