13" Base Model

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HiDEF, Jun 12, 2013.

1. HiDEF, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013

HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Local Best Buy has limited supplies of the 13" Haswell MBA with 128GB and 4GB memory.

Is the 4GB memory enough or just a waste of money? My MBA would be for the road and light usage (surfing, social media, school, and some work).

Your input is appreciated :cool:

More info: I currently own a late 2009 mac mini which is still kicking and its my main computer.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

this. It is easily enough. The people who need 8gb are doing video editing or Virtual machines.

4. HiDEF thread starter macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Thanx for the input B..! I just don't know if I feel comfortable with only 4GB of memory! But unfortunately my options are limited because I can only finance with BB..

----------

Thanx mattopotamus!

So if I want to run VM, I should go with 8GB or higher?

----------

Also, what's the resale value on base models? I plan on selling it when new one are announced.

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

How much RAM are you using on your MM now? Also, less RAM can seem like more in the MBA and rMBP because it processes the page outs faster due to the SSD.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I personally have never run into a problem with 4gb running VM, but people always say it is better with 8gb (never personally experienced any issue with 4gb). Also, the flat base models are always the best in terms of resale. Most people just want an Air and just want whatever is the cheapest. I upgrade every year and it only cost me about $200 to do so. My 11" base sold for $800 w/ original box and accessories all in perfect condition.

I put it on my local craigslist and it sold within 10 minutes of posting. Also, being less than a year, it is still under warranty and someone can still buy applecare if they want

7. HiDEF thread starter macrumors 68000

HiDEF

My mac mini now has 4GB of ram (I believe).

----------

With your 11", was it the base model? Did you get apple care with it?

8. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Yes base (64GB) and no Applecare.

9. n1tut macrumors regular

n1tut

I have a base 2010 11", so 2GB of memory, and have no problem running Parallels.

However it is not working very hard, just the usual Internet, mail etc, and light application usage.

tut

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

11" was the base, and I did not have applecare. You can buy applecare anytime within the first year and it comes with a 1 year warranty. I always sell it before the 1 year mark, so it is up to the new owner if they want to. Buying the base model is the way to go if you are a light user...great resell value. Another way to look at it is that I pay about $17 a month to always have the newest Air.

11. HiDEF thread starter macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Pretty cool!

Thanks for all the input guys! I think I'm going to go pick it up after work and test it out!