13" c2d vs 15" i5 for music editing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 4dizy, Jun 1, 2010.

1. 4dizy macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm a student and have been looking for a new laptop. I have decided to go with a Mac due to their proclaimed battery life and overall quality. I will be using it for the regular applications such as web and word but i am looking to do music production as well. Which version of the MacBook Pro would best suit my needs?

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

3. canderton macrumors member

x2

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

5. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

6. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

i5 over c2d along with the bigger screen (especially if he opts for the hi res) will go a long way in music development.

7. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Well the i5 can turbo boost to faster speeds plus it has Hyper Threading, so if there are any music production apps that make use of multi threading, then it'll be the better performer.

Otherwise a 13" will do you fine and I hear it's a pretty decent performer, so guess it's what do you want more, a bit more portability (don't get people who say the 15" isn't portable), or a bit more power?

8. EHVio macrumors newbie

15" by a mile. The extra screen real estate will be a godsend with whatever DAW you're using.

9. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

My answer will differ depending on whether or not you have an external display. When i work with video or audio editing for extended periods, i always hook up my 24" Dell. The processor speed is better on i5, but nothing you'll notice for simple tasks (if you are encoding for 1 hour, you'll shave a few minutes off the top).

My desktop quad core performs similarly to my mbp, which I attribute to the fact that the software is not programmed to take full advantage of multicore CPUs.

No doubt the i5 is "faster" - but understand that in terms of what you are doing.

10. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Logic can take advantage of 4 cores / 4 threads.

11. 4dizy thread starter macrumors newbie

i do not have a larger monitor i can use and i think the extra power will help a bit so ive decided to get the i5. Thanks for the help ! :)

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Logic can only take advantage of the real cores even though it supports 4 threads http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11596253

Anyway, due Turbo and advantages in Nehalem architecture, i5 is clear winner for CPU intensive stuff such as Logic