13" Case or Sleeve?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AmbiguousNinja, Jun 17, 2011.

1. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Hey, I found a perfect backpack for my Macbook in my closet (weird) and now I'm sure I want a case or a sleeve but I'm not sure which one I should get. Should I get a sleeve or a case? And any case/sleeve links would help too!:D

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

3. AmbiguousNinja thread starter macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

I'm probably going to buy the speck case but I've heard rumors that it scratches the MBP, is that true?

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

i have the elecom case (similar). i have no scratches. but, i also clean out the dust regularly. it collects dust, and from what i understand, this can sometimes result in abrasions if left sitting between the case and the computer.

whatever tiny abrasions i may get over time, my case already saved me from a gash in the lid, so it has more than paid for itself.

5. AmbiguousNinja thread starter macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

I've done a bit more researching and I'm considering either the Speck Seethru Satin(black or clear) OR the InCase Hardshell (Green or Blue). Which one's better?

6. dutkutug macrumors newbie

I have the incase neoprene sleeve. It is cheap, in addition, it has a soft cushion inside which does not let anything scratch the precious ;)

7. AmbiguousNinja thread starter macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Yeah I was thinking of the BookBook for a while but then I realized that it killed the beauty of my MBP :( I'd rather just have something that changes the colour and protects it from little bumps and scratches.

8. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I personally went with a sleeve. It's much more "natural" than carrying a rigid case all over the place. That's what I feel anyway. I always handle my Mac with care so I hardly doubt it'll ever fall down (I only dropped a laptop once in 6 years of using them)

9. Fugue macrumors 6502

I really like the Incase sleeve but cannot justify the $40 price tag.

10. AmbiguousNinja thread starter macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Haha, that's the one of the reasons that I'm not getting a sleeve, they're overpriced. :p I'm trying to decide between the InCase Hardcover, Speck SeeThru, and any suggestions!

11. Fugue macrumors 6502

I have OCD when it comes to protecting my electronics so I usually always opt for a case. The MBP however, with it's beautiful aluminum, feels solid and I am not getting a hard cover case for it.

I plan to get a sleeve so that I can fit that into a backpack. :)

Will probably order one from eBay for $15.

12. hockey89 macrumors newbie

sorry if this is threadcrapping but i dont want to fill up the main board with a similar Q.

What is the difference between

Incase 13" Neoprene Slim Sleeve for MacBook Pro and MacBook Air

and

Incase 13" Neoprene Sleeve Plus for MacBook Pro

they are the same price

is the slim a new one?

13. AmbiguousNinja thread starter macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

I have OCD too! :D I'm a bit paranoid about buying on the internet so I'm probably going to buy my case at Best Buy or Future Shop (nearest Apple Store AKA Heaven, is 2 hours away :( )

14. palpatine macrumors 68040

i would get a clear case, because it highlights the design, sort of like olishing it. i think the colors look awful.

as for the sleeve, i don't have the g-form, because i am out of the country, but i have something. backpacks get dusty, rain seeps in, bottoms break, and computers (i have seen) fall out when opened carelessly. better to have a sleeve for extra protection.

as for using it naked, unfortunately the world is filled with people who bump into things and /or knock stuff off tables. big butts, narrow aisles, small desks, and lots of people in university lecture halls = danger. the hard case isn't perfect, but it provides some protection.

my case saved my computer from a malicious window the other day, and i surely would have a gash in the lid if i hadn't had a case. i rarely meet naked mac owners who don't have battle worn computeRs. i suppose it gives them character, but i prefer mine looking new.

15. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

i'm loving my hard candy clear bubble case. i don't have a great picture of it, but this kind of shows the bubble look. the picture was taken to highlight the logo more than the case, but it gets the job done.

[​IMG]

16. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

If you're going with a hard case the Speck is a good choice.

17. palpatine macrumors 68040

cleaned my hardcase today. looks like i have my first abrasion mark on the computer from it. yay :(

it's a minor cosmetic thing, and the case has already protected me from an ugly gash, so i'll keep it on the mbp. my concern is more with nasty stuff like dents or worse. i can forgive small marks, but it is something to keep in mind.

18. MJNBGA macrumors regular

I know that this belongs on a new thread, but...

I know I should probably start a new thread, but:
    Should I buy a sleeve for my new MacBook Pro that I will bring to school or will it just get in the way?

Thanks

19. palpatine macrumors 68040

yes. definitely. sleeves are relatively small, but will save you from a lot of headaches. Rain, dust, leaky pens, spilled drinks, etc. have you ever seen someone open their backpack and have their stuff fall on the floor? it isn't pretty when that's a computer :(

i plan to buy the g-form sleeve next time i am in the states. you can't beat it. here is the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdAAbu-nMkY

20. MJNBGA macrumors regular

Cool! But seriously, what kind of idiot drops a computer from a balcony? :D

21. palpatine macrumors 68040

they dropped an ipad from a plane :)

if you live in the northern regions, you've probably fallen on your butt before slipping on ice (crocs, by the way, are not good winter shoes). thankfully, i've never broken anything (in me or my backpack), but i'd feel a lot better if i had the g-form sleeve this winter! nothing is 100%, but it sure beats the alternatives.

22. hockey89 macrumors newbie

anyone?
    from what i can gather the slim is the new one and they are phasing out the plus.. not sure though

23. Bonilla macrumors member

Bonilla

I had a 15" MBP used a Speck Seethru and it scratches a little just the part it holds.
    Now i have a 13" MBP and i am planning to buy a sleeve plus incase.
    fits better and none scratches