13" clicking HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newdeal, Feb 5, 2011.

1. newdeal macrumors 68020

ok so I go through laptops pretty quickly. I sold my previous current gen MBP and bought another current gen MBP (same computer). Differance between the two is the HDD, same capacity but differant brand. The first one had a Hitachi, the drive was quiet but the head parked VERY loudly when you moved the laptop. The new one has a seagate drive, it doesn't park the head loudly but its much more "clicky" in operation. Does anyone else notice these issues? I used to have a prev gen MBP and it had a silent toshiba drive, do some still use toshiba or have they switched away?

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Does it click just when you move it abruptly or set it down? Or is a consistent?

3. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

not when I move it, that was the old one. This one clicks more audibly as it reads and writes

4. Chris. macrumors regular

Seagate drives are pretty noisy. However, I replaced my 13" MBP HDD with a Western Digital, and it clicks while I use the laptop.

I'd recommend you check the SMART status of the HDD though in Disk Utility:

[​IMG]

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

If you don`t already have a full back-up, now would be a good time... this is usually symptomatic of a dying drive. Commiserations.

6. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

I have a time capsule so its all backed up fine. smart status is good checked that yesterday when I was reinstalling the OS. If it dies its no big deal I have applecare till May 2013 and the time capsule does a great job of keeping my data safe

7. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Good job, the number of people I know who don`t have a full backup is unbelievable :rolleyes:

Maybe an opportunity to consider an SSD upgrade?

8. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

What?? why'd you do that? sell the MBP for the same MBP? couldnt you just bought a new HD? wouldnt that be easier?

9. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

I had an OWC mercury extreme SSD before...wasn't impressed. Its the fastest thing out there are for the tasks I do it was faster but not life changing. For the cost I was expecting more. Also the first one died after a week and the replacement died after a month and so I asked for my money back.

As for why I sold a MBP to get another of the same the first one I bought a couple weeks ago for $950 canadian and sold it for $1150 canadian...hard to pass that up. Bought the new one for $1000 canadian with applecare so I made $150 and got applecare out of the deal