13" cMBP Optibay Win7 and SSD + HDD Not Booting into Win 7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jfriedman8, Nov 27, 2013.

1. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

I have read TONS of the threads on here about the issues trying to get the system to work with 1 HDD and 1 SSD and Boot Camp. That being said, here's where I am at, and I have a simple question considering that I am tired of opening up the machine and getting to the optibay and the unscrewing that too.

I have (and prefer) my 7200 RPM 1TB drive in the main HDD slot and my EVO 840 in the Optibay. I removed the 1TB HDD to put Mavs and Win 7 on the SSD, while it was in the Optibay and the main SATA slot empty. Install was flawless and Win 7 was running flawlessly. Everything works great independently.

I put the 1TB HDD back in the main SATA slot, and as expected, the SSD will boot into Mavs, but NOT into Win 7. I get the Blinking dash in the top left corner. I even went back into the SSD, unmounted the HDD tried to restart with the same result.

My question is simply this. If I put the SSD in the main bay and the HDD in the Optibay, is this going to solve the blinking dash issue and boot into Win 7, or is this entirely about having two disk drives in the machine and other compatibility issues.

Thank you!

2. leftyMac macrumors regular

from what I've read on this topic so far when I was trying to install win7 in bootcamp, bootcamp won't recognize another OS installed in optical bay. it has to be the main HD slot.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

This is correct.

4. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I just put the SSD back into the main bay and the HDD in the optibay. I get the same result- blinking dash in the top left corner when two drives are connected. This is driving me insane. It works with one drive in there, what difference does two make!?

Any other suggestions?

----------

So before opening it up again, I gave it a try this way.

1. Boot into Mavs on the SSD
    2. Restart through System Prefs
    3. It worked.

I guess I'll stick with this for now although I would much rather have the HDD in the main bay to reduce noise.