13 cMBP RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tharitm, Jan 14, 2013.

1. tharitm macrumors member

tharitm

Hey guys!

This is probably the second thread but the thing is I am planning to upgrade the RAM in my current cMBP 13 inch base model (Mid 2012) to 16GB and I've been hearing a lot about these speeds and etc.

First thing I want to clarify is that will I be able to use 1333Mhz RAM as the MBP currently holds two 1600MHz sticks? I read on the Apple Support forum that they wont and will make a beep sound once installed. Could someone please clarify?

If I can use 1333MHz I'd probably go for Corsair Macmemory or 2xGSkill.

If not for 1600MHz Corsair Mac Memory or similar GSkill model.

There is roughly $30 price difference between those speeds. Money is bit of trouble for me.

Which would you suggest?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes you can use slower RAM. If you are actually able to discern a difference between the two speeds other than in artificial benchmarks, you're probably nuts!

Check newegg.com out though, there shouldn't be a $30 difference between both speeds.

Either way, there is no such thing as "Mac Memory", companies slap that sticker on their RAM sticks as a reason to up the pricing and fooling buyers into thinking they'll get a better product. Oftentimes, the part numbers are the exact same as the non "Mac Memory", only the packaging changes.

Buy the cheapest you can find from a reputable company with the correct specs, period.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

1333 will work.

What are you paying for 16GB 1333 RAM?

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

This is the memory I put in my 2012 15", Saves you money over the "for Mac" memory and gets you the faster speed. It's cheaper on Newegg than ebay.

5. tharitm thread starter macrumors member

tharitm

Thats the thing the upgrade will boost the RAM upto 4 times from my current configuration! I honestly would love to use newegg (prices are damn cheap) but it doesn't ship to my country.

Yeah I know. I browsed through some of the RAM sticks and most are identical to the "Mac Memory".

I will. Any experience about GSkill?

Around $100 on eBay with shipping. Locally Gskill costs around $100 as well.

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

$84 - for 16GB 1600 Crucial RAM -http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12800-204-Pin-Modules-CT2C8G3S160BM/dp/B008LTBJFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358215563&sr=8-1&keywords=crucial+16GB+RAM+1600

Aww - what country?

----------

My GSkill in my old 2011 MBP - 16GB failed after 4months - they replaced it.

7. tharitm thread starter macrumors member

tharitm

Too bad most of the US prices seems lot cheaper..Sri Lanka. :)