13" Glass Replacement - Tough?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NOTNlCE, Jan 19, 2015.

1. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Hello all,

A client of mine gave me their old 2011 MacBook Pro 13" which was non functioning. They had dropped it a while back, which resulted in the screen shattering, hard drive dying, and a few other issues.

I've brought it home to use as my own, and am actually currently typing from it. I've replaced a few things already to get it working, and the last thing on the list is the glass. The actual LCD display is fine, no dead pixels, no damage from the drop, it's just the glass that's cracked.

My question is - what am I getting myself into? I've done work similar to this in the past, but glancing at the iFixit guide makes it look a bit rough, with the heat gun/glue melting, etc. To anyone who's done this before - is it tough? I just don't want to end up damaging what is - at this point - a working machine, just for the aesthetic of the glass.

Thanks for your advice.

-N

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

If you're methodical and careful, it's easy enough.

3. NOTNlCE thread starter macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

On another note - it appears the actual display is peeling away from the aluminum housing. Is there an easy way to fix this? Everything I've seen just says, "Take it to Apple" which is not an acceptable response, in my opinion. Others have said, "reapply glue" but I think I need a bit more guidance before I start spreading glue through this MacBook.

Thanks!