13'' hard on eyes?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M-B-P, May 15, 2010.

1. M-B-P macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I am looking to get my very 1st mac- a macbook pro- and i am very excited(I HATE to wait:mad:). I have been doing a lot of research on this site and found some very useful info. As of now I am leaning toward getting a base 13'' and upgrading it with a SSD later on this year(when the new Intel SSDs are released). One thing I am concerned about is the 13'' glossy screen being to hard on my eyes, negatively impacting my eyesight. From your experiences how has the 13'' screen been on your eyes?

I would like to add that I am a college student and I am looking for a laptop that I can use for atleast 4-5 years. I am not a gamer, I rarely do photo editing, and am just going to use it for casual/school purposes. So would upgrading to a 15''(a bigger screen) be MUCH lighter on my eyes, or would a 13'' be fine. The portability and batter life of the 13'' is pretty important to me, so would I be making a significant sacrifice in portability and battery life going from the 13'' to the 15''.

I would appreciate some insightful advice from the experts :)

2. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. olihope macrumors newbie

Go to 13.3"" 2.4GHz C2D, 320M nVidia, is't Good, i have my first macbook pro (this model) bought yesterday it's good, (i want 15" with matte but this is't better).

btw: glossy have display in one line, matte 3 lines ... left, display, right ... gut for dust ;)

5. vty macrumors member

There are definitely certain things you need to do; shrink the dock, get rid of all the stupid status bars in firefox, things like that. Here is my setup.
    [​IMG]

6. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

The dot-pitch is identical for the 13" and standard 15". I have both MBP's and find no vision problem with either.

If you have excellent near-field vision you might be able to use the hi-rez display on the 15".

7. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

What I think you'll want to consider is the screen resolution in relationship to the screen size. For any given screen size, the greater the resolution, the smaller the on-screen text will be.

The current 1280 x 800 resolution on the 13-inch MBP is pretty much ideal for the screen size, in my opinion. I've never had to strain to read any type on my 13-inch.

On the other hand, I'm not sure whether your main concern is the glossiness of the screen. The glossy is no problem indoors, for the most part. Sometimes you have to take care about the location of lighting, as the reflections can get annoying, but that's nothing a little planning won't take care of.

8. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Dang............. took me half a minute to find the correct 'reply' button. :p

9. vty macrumors member

Sorry! I actually originally used imgurs shrink to fit link option, but for some reason that doesn't work with this forum. :(

Edit: There, fixed mine. Now fix yours! haha.

10. M-B-P thread starter macrumors regular

My concern is not really about having space on my desktop or viewing multiple windows at the same time, It is just about actual physical strain on my eyes. I just don't want my eyesight to be impacted by the screen b/c it is so small.I find the glossy screen of the macs to be be absolutely beautiful, so that is is not something the draws me away.

11. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Well, im not sure if it helps, but about 7 months ago I sold off my 30" Apple Display (2560x1600) and used a 13" for the last 6 months until i got a 27" iMac and i didnt have too hard of a time adjusting.
    The loss of screen real estate was a bit of adjustment but none the less I managed and wasnt hard at all on the eyes or productivity.

12. M-B-P thread starter macrumors regular

--Yea, That is the type of thing I am concerned about.

13. vty macrumors member

1280 isn't a very hard or small resolution on a 13" screen; on the other hand, staring at the Vaio Z's 1680 would probably induce quite a few headaches in me. Other people might not mind it, though. YMMV.

14. M-B-P thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks vty, I appreciate your input. :)

I am still open to other opinions to see how other people feel about the strain on the eyes.

15. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

You'll be fine with the 13 MBP the screens not that small.

16. shadygrove macrumors regular

Personally I prefer the 15'' and think the 13'' is too small but the lead designer at work uses a 13'' hooked up to a monitor when he is at a desk. I love size of 13'' in every but the screen. I can see the screen perfectly fine, just not enough real estate for me to work with.

17. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

13" is a perfect all purpose notebook. Screen is beautiful and easy to read.

18. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Uhh, u wonder why ur computer runs slow it's because you have all that crap running in the background. Always funny to see people running tools that constantly update them as to how fast their computer is running... which in itself slows down the computer, haha

19. vty macrumors member

My mbp is blazing fast dude, not speed complaints at all

20. bella92108 macrumors 68000

I'm sure it is, but it's a fact that it'd be faster without all the crap running, lol.

21. M-B-P thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info.

...Any other suggestions?

22. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Why do you want other people to tell you what to do? Size of laptop is personal preference, it's asking "sedan or suv" kinda thing? They both serve the same purpose, but if you want a big laptop with a big screen, get the 15" otherwise get the 13" if you want something more portable. Both are super portable, but if you fly coach a lot you may want the 13"... as it's easier to use in a smaller coach seat without power plugs

23. swish2351 macrumors 6502

What are you talking about? Did you quote the wrong person? He said he couldn't find the right reply button, not it wouldn't load fast enough. wow.

24. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

It is a lower resolution than the 15", making things bigger than they are on the 15" which makes it perfect on a 13" screen. No worries.

25. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

With the brightness on full...no problem. I've never said to myself, "damn, I want a matte surface."

You want it to last five years...to do casual stuff and school work? Boy, there are iBooks from 2001 that could fill that bill. Trust me, if you are patient, it will be with you for a looooong time.

It's going to feel like a divorce when it's over :(