13" i5 256 gb ssd vs. 13" i7 128gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zsobes, Jul 22, 2011.

1. zsobes macrumors newbie

I am going to be a freshman in college and I will soon be purchasing a macbook pro. I can't decide if i should get a 13" i5 with 256 gb ssd or a 13" i7 with a 128 ssd. I'd consider myself an average user, not doing anything too complicated. On my macbook that I have now I have only used 95gb/250gb of hard drive. Which computer is the better choice? Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How about the i5/128 GB? Doesn't sound like you need either.

3. Chiuy macrumors 6502

I would go i5 128GB.
    Why? i7 is not worth the price difference of $300. It's totally ************ that they charge that much. The "real" difference, if I were to build my own computer, the i5 and the i7 should only be $50 apart, NOT $300.

Also, why 128GB SSD?
    I prefer less memory on the SSD because it'll keep your computer clean. You'll think twice before downloading any stupid stuff and it'll constantly alert you to clean out your trash, etc.
    Which also makes your MBP runs so much faster.

4. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I'd go for the i5. No point of wasting $250 on a CPU upgrade that'll give you 10% (maximum) performance improvement. If you're going with a 3rd party SSD, rather than going for Apple's CTO upgrade, go for reliability over speed (i.e. you may want to get a SATA II SSD over a SATA III SSD, even though the latter may look more attractive.)
    Just my $0.02 :)

5. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

So limiting what you can download/install is good because it makes you think to make sure you really want it? What if you do want it and don't have space? If you can afford it, get a bigger drive. Not to mention that larger drives are faster than smaller drives(all other things being equal), but the more free space on a SSD the better. If you have the bank, get a 256GB; hell of you can afford it get a 512GB lol.

That said, I myself wouldn't get an Apple drive; I would look into Intel/Samsung(I went with a 256 GB Samsung 470), or look at OCZ if you're willing to give up some reliability for performance(that may or may not be noticeable outside of benchmarks), but there is something to be said about having Apple cover your SSD, rather than a 3rd party.

6. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2