13" i5 MBP not turning on (2011)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by finnns2000, Apr 8, 2011.

1. finnns2000, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

finnns2000 macrumors regular

Long story short, my MBP has been acting up since I bought it (about 3 weeks ago). It will not turn on from sleep, and I can hear the HD clicking when I hold the power button. No power light, nothing. So I got it serviced on Tuesday, "Genius" said it was maybe logic board related. So Wednesday I got a call that it was ready, evidently he fiddled with some firmware and the problem was "solved".

Haven't been able to use it since Wednesday. Nothing wrong with the battery, indicator lights come on just fine. Being in IT, I can tell a pile of crap when I smell it. Whenever I pick up the machine, I can hear the HD platter, not good. This is my 2nd MBP that was essentially DOA and I've lost patience. Time to go back to the "genius" bar and either get a brand new machine or my money back.
    :rolleyes:

2. finnns2000 thread starter macrumors regular

And has anyone else with a 13" i5 had this issue?

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Call Apple directly as opposed to the Bar. Is the clicking you hear like the 'click of death'?

4. finnns2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Basically, one long click and nothing. No power, just completely dead. I may call beforehand to see what they have to say about this.

5. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Interesting. My bro's had this issue but only when it falls asleep from inactivity. Sleep from lid closing has been fine. But yeah sometimes after he let's it sleep from being afk, he has to do a hard shutdown and boot. He has the 2011 i5 13"

6. 1nteresting macrumors member

1nteresting

I've had the 13" i5 for about a week now, and so far I've had no issues at all. It's been extremely fast when putting it to sleeping and waking it. I'm sure they'll help you get it fixed, Apple is usually pretty good that way. I'd try it for a 3rd time round and see what happens. 3rd times a charm, right? ;)

7. finnns2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, they must've known how ridiculous it was because I didn't even have to utter a word, manager replaced the MBP with a new one. The "genius" who helped me the other day couldn't even look me in the eye, he knew it was #@%$%@ and a software fix wouldn't take care of that issue...

At least I have a new new MBP. :eek:

8. 1nteresting macrumors member

1nteresting

Sweet, glad to hear that everything worked out. :)

9. finnns2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah this one is much better. Turns on right after waking up. No moving parts when you pick it up.