13" i5 vs i7 where would I notice the difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GadgetGeek407, Mar 23, 2011.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I have an i5 right now and even it feels pretty much the same as my 2.66 13 pro, and now i bought an i7 just cause i wanted the better one but haven't opened it up yet, where would i notice the difference? they say the camera on these is high def it looks the same as the old one can anyone see a difference?

2. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Probably not going to notice a really big difference in day-to-day tasks like web browsing, word documents, etc. Difference will be in CPU intensive tasks like video encoding. Anything that taxes the CPU will be quicker on the i7. To be honest though, an SSD is the most "real-world" upgrade you can do to your computer. An i5 with an SSD is going to smoke an i7 with a 5400 RPM drive in quicker app load times and things that you would notice just playing with the computer. Processors don't seem to be the bottleneck for most mainstream users anymore, it's the HD.

3. jboyzh macrumors member

13' i7 here, and really happy with it. Bought it over the i5 only because of Logic Pro, because those 15-20% speed improvement matter to me. Other than that, the i5 would've been more than fast enough for me. Agree with kobyh15 that an SSD is the first thing to get, then think about getting the i7. For all tasks you didn't feel a difference from 13' i5 compared to the 13' 2.66, you'll most probably also not feel the difference to the i7. Don't know about the cam, though...