13" i5 vs i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CopperX, Feb 26, 2011.

  1. CopperX macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    #1
    So, I've given up and decided to buy the 13" despite the low-res screen.

    Now I don't know whether to get the i5 or i7. I mostly do programming and web design with the occasional (hobby) audio work in Logic Pro.

    I can't find any benchmarks comparing the two.

    What's the general wisdom here regarding 13" models?
     
  2. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

    1BadMac

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #2
    There are tons of benchmarks if you Google for them. I've seen them showing a range of 10% to 16% difference.

    For me, I get a new 13" every release. So I went form a roughly 3,000 geek bench score to close to 6,000. Literally 100% faster from C2D 2.4 to i5 2.3. The i7 comes in anywhere from 6,600 - 7,x00.

    Since I get a new one every year, the 2x performance was enough that I didn't justify in my brain the extra $300. If you plan to keep it for a while and 13" is for sure what you want, the higher end 13" may be what you want.
     
  3. CopperX thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    #3
    Thanks, yeah, I don't think a mere 10% - 16% increase in performance is worth the $300, considering both have the same low-res screen.

    Great, I'm thinking that's what I should do myself. How do you do it? do you sell it on eBay after the new models are announced or before?
     
  4. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2010
    #4
    Hop tip from my friend is that i5 is more "bang for your buck" at the moment. It has speeds comparable to the previous generation's i7, and both only have two cores. You would probably get more value out of an SSD, your system will be bottlenecked by 5400rpm HDD.
     
  5. impulse462 Suspended

    impulse462

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2009
    #5
    Yes you'd get a better deal going with the i5 and getting an SSD to go along with that.
     
  6. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

    1BadMac

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #6
    I just keep an eye on this forum and plan to sell on eBay or locally for about a $200 - $250 loss. That's the good thing about the MBP, it does keep its value better than any PC I've ever tried to do the same with.

    I would recommend you put the difference in the two ($300) into a nice SSD if you really want your MBP to scream. I have the Vertex 2 - 180 GB that I recently picked up from buy.com for $314 and a $20 rebate to come. All of the "instant on" hype you get from the Air, plus super fast for just about everything. An SSD is hands down the best upgrade for any MBP.
     

Share This Page