13" i7 damaged on arrival - bummer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by h00ligan, Mar 5, 2011.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Saw the box had a gash.. thought.. here we go!

Surprisingly, there was no contact with the inner box actually from apple. Relieved I opened up the machine, flipped it to take off the plastic..

tada - ding in the bottom (no macbook pro box damage)

It's already scheduled for a return.. but honestly this is pretty annoying. Oh well. It's not major, but I refuse to accept a dent/ding in a brand new machine for which I just payed $1500.

Now this delay is going to take so long, I may as well try the ipad 2 and see if it will work in concert with a desktop.

No damage to the actual box means this left apple with the dent.. pretty shoddy qc for apple. Too bad I can't use the device to see if it works for me since it's going back anyway, but I'm not about to finish the unwrap and get blamed for the ding.

2. mtkagan macrumors member

if you didnt ship it in already the apple store will do an exchange even with online orders if you just take it in and explain your situation

3. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I wouldn't accept it either. I bought mine in the Apple store yesterday so I could check it out carefully including the screen prior to taking it home.

4. /user/me macrumors 6502

Unless it was a bto...

5. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

There's been quite a few of these complaints recently, apple quality control slipping? Or just a blip?

6. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

Every time someone opens a computer and it has an issue, they will make a post.

Every time someone opens a computer and it is perfect, they won't make a post.

Therefore, you can see that it is customary for a bunch of posts of imperfections when a new machine is released.

7. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Truebut,

If there were MORE posts about QC problems now vs. say, last year, that might indicate an overall increase in problems, regardless of the fact that people don't post to say all is well.

Of course we are not doing scientific surveys here, but we can still try to gauge it with what we have.

8. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

My MBP Pro bought 6 months ago: Flawless out of the box.
    My MBA bought 6 days ago: Flawless out of the box.

9. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Unfortunately, I ordered from MacMall - who has been good - and I saved tax etc... but gave up the ability to return it directly to an apple store. They are refunding me, however at this point by the time it comes through I may as well wait and consider further (probably just buy local next time and pay the tax.. meh.

I won't even get the shipping return label until Monday... it's definitely going to take a few days to get back to them.. then the refund or replacement.. I'd be lucky to have it by next weekend.

10. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Oh come on...there's a gigantic stickied thread at the top of the forum, full of happy customers too, people will post about anything, good or bad. This forum also doesn't represent the majority of Apple customers, although it is definitely a sample.

As an observer of last year's refresh and this year's, there are definitely more complaints this year when compared to the Arrandale releases last year. It may signify a lot of things, so I'm not even going to make any guesses.

11. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

We are but a very small sample of Macbook buyers. Even if we have 5 to 10 recent complaints over 2 weeks, they won't be statistically significant. Macs are being sold at about 100 an hour - maybe a lot more or maybe a few less. Either way, a few dings due to shipping or a couple feeling hot hardly qualifies as production issues.

12. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

To be clear.. I make no assertion about the frequency of the issue. I was only posting my example.

I would have no issue whatsoever if this happened in transit, but the fact the box is absolutely undamaged + very well padded shows me this was dented before it shipped anywhere - that's a problem, no matter how often it happens.

I did call apple, as expected, nothing they can/will do for the dent, must return to macmall. I don't fault them for that in any way - it was just worth a try.

13. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Just a question:

Does Apple ship the MPB box inside another, plain box?

14. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Yes they do. The retail display box is inside a plain, cardboard box with some small padding in the corners.