13" i7 MBP vs 15" QM MBP for dev work with light gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LaunchpadBS, Jul 29, 2012.

1. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I'm stuck with a tough decision here, I need to upgrade my old 08 unibody MBP because it's just too slow.

I've bought a nice big monitor so I was looking to reduce desktop presence by buying a mac mini, but seeing as there's no real timeline for the refresh and I don't want to pay 2012 prices for 2011 tech I've come back to the MBP.

My use, light gaming every now and then, mainly Diablo 3 as I've got a PS3.
    I do quite a bit of development work in Xcode as well as running MS Visual Studio via parallels for more dev work. I also run handbrake overnight to convert to ATV.

I'm looking more at the 13" i7 MBP as it's quite a bit smaller than the 15", but my only worry is will the dual core i7 with 16GB ram and a hybrid HD (Seagate momentus XT) be able to handle my workload and play Diablo 3 on a decent enough setting through my external monitor?
    As far as desk space goes the 13" is quite a bit smaller than the 15" and it'll mainly be closed when using the external monitor.

Been going round in circles with this, any advice would be greatly appretiated.

2. filmak macrumors 6502a

I have a new 13" 2.9 i7 with 16 gb ram and a samsung 512 ssd, running win 7 via Parallels and a lot of office applications, ps cs5 etc. with no problems, it's a very good choice if the smaller size of the 13" mbp matters.
    I don't know about your games, but for work purposes this mbp is splendid.:)

3. LaunchpadBS thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not much for gaming really, I just want to play D3, can't do it on my PS3 so that's pretty much it.

Feel like demoing it? ;)

Does the performance difference from the SSD warrant the price? I have a fair amount of music and the tools and resources I use with app development mean I would have to get at least a 512GB SSD so it'll cost quite a bit.

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

If D3 is Diablo3 you won't really be satisfied with the Intel GPU. I just can't live with a system that doesn't have a discrete GPU. However, I probably play more games and use bootcamp too so I'm biased.

Cheers,

5. filmak macrumors 6502a

I have the samsung 830 512 Gb installed. I think that the ssd is a must, if you try it once you will never going to miss a HD.

If you need the speed and the reliability, who doesn't?, it's definitely worth it.