13 inch 2.26 mbp fan noise/vibrations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sportsfreak, Feb 10, 2010.

1. sportsfreak macrumors member

Hey,

I have looked around quite a lot for an answer to this topic but couldn't find exactly what i am looking for.

Anyways, at the moment my mac is around 6 months old and just recently i am noticing that the fan is starting to vibrate- like when i type on the mac with my palms rested on the computer i can feel the vibrations. Now it is subtle but was not there before. As i am typing this the fan is at 2000 rpm.

Also, when i am not out with the computer. I hook it up to my 23 inch monitor and a portable keyboard. Now when i do this i can hear a very loud noise coming form the computer while using it as a desktop. Almost as it its straining to use it. Its not so much a violent noise as it is that the fan seems to be over working.

I dont know if i am getting paranoid or if this is a serious problem- i have a 3 year warranty from bestbuy. The small vibrations i can feel form the computer seem to be like a small issue- however my friend beside me with the same model- her mac is silent and doesn't vibrate subtly. However, i am more worried about the louder noise it makes when i hook it up at work. like when i put the computer to sleep i can tell a substantial noise different in terms of it going silent after i put it to sleep.

Thanks

2. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

It's more likely to be a harddrive problem?

I'd try getting a new harddrive, or you can just send it in?
    it's possibly just that, don't be paranoid... it's not like your hdd is going to explode (or is it? o_0?) jk

yeah try just probably swapping the harddrive.

see how it is.

3. marclondon macrumors regular

I bought two 13 inch Macbook Pros last summer - one 2.26MHz, one 2.53MHz. The faster machine has been quite noisy in a quiet room - a sort of whooshing sound at 2000 rpm - so I took it to the big London Apple store and they've agreed to replace the fan - they didn't have one in stock so I need to go back to get it fitted which is a nuisance as they keep it most of the day. But I think it may well be the disk that's not too good. I have a spare 2.5 inch drive from a Mac Mini so I'm going go try that out before getting the fan swapped.

4. marclondon macrumors regular

Now this is interesting. I've just put a Hitachi 120GB 5400 rpm disk that came from a Mac Mini into the Macbook Pro (13 inch, 2.53MHz, 4GB ram model) taking out the stock Toshiba 250GB 5400 rpm drive. Guess what - the Macbook is now much quieter at the usual 2000 rpm and the fan isn't very noticeable until it gets to about 3500 rpm and 85 degrees running a video stream or two.

The only other difference is that the system on the Hitachi is Leopard, while the Tosh has Snow Leopard fully updated. For some reason there's no sound either with the Leopard system.

So the disk seems to be the main culprit for noise and not the fan and I think the machine was also getting hotter. Not sure I can be bothered getting Apple to swap it as I'm not too bothered about the capacity but the question is - is any higher capacity disk going to be noisy and possibly take more power, even a 5400 rpm like the Toshiba? Or have I got a rogue disk?