13-inch 2.4GHz MacBook Pro Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheOneEclypse, Aug 21, 2010.

1. TheOneEclypse macrumors newbie

Hello. I have a few questions about my future computer. Again, I would prefer answers from people that have used the 13-inch; 2.4GHz Macbook Pro.

So basically I want to know if the 2.4GHz processor will be good enough for developing video games. NOT playing videos games...actually creating them with 3DS Max, Unreal Engine, etc. I would also be doing mild video editing using Final Cut Pro, some Photoshop and maybe play video games on my free time.
    I would also like to know if the graphics (NIVIDA GeForce 320M) will be good enough for the above tasks and how big a of performance down-fall will I experience with a graphics card with dedicated memory compared to shared memory.

I've only used a PC my whole life, so I'm not sure how differently a Mac uses both RAM and the CPU compared to a PC. Just to make the comparison easier for you, I currently have a 2007 Pentium D 2.8GHz processor with 1GB RAM.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

You CAN do it, however it would be noticably slower if you plan on playing the games you develop, than say a 15"
    Plus, with what you're doing, I think you might need to extra screen real estate a 15" offers.
    If you plan on keeping >2 years i'd say go for the 15", you might run into some resolution bottlenecks, as well as minimal processing slowdowns with the 13" versus the 15" or 17"
    Again, the 13" is perfectly usable, however for what you're doing i'd reccomend the 15" just for screen size. Core 2 Duo machines are still very fast, just not as "new and great" as the recent i series of processors. If you have the money, please take a look:
    Here are some links to refurbished (I always buy these, never had a problem)
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=OTY2ODY3Nw

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC371LL/A?mco=MTgwOTc2ODA

You WILL also see a difference compared to your desktop, the 13" is a lot faster, at least compared to the same spec'ked pentium D HP I use at school.

Hope I could help!

3. Loptimist macrumors member

i suggest you to stick to windows pc for developing 3d games.