Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2010
I have a Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel with 2 gb memory running Mac OSX 10.6.5.

Recently, the machine has been getting VERY hot when streaming any video or other intensive operations. Despite those temperatures, Istat Nano indicates that the exhaust fan (the only fan on this version) is running at zero RPM's.

FYI, by "very hot" I mean temperatures in excess of 200 F degrees. A few days ago, when I discovered this problem, the CPU-A temp reported by Istat Nano was 220 degrees!

Any thoughts on how to solve this? I tried the SMC fan controller but it didn't seem to help. On a related note, what temperature is considered "too hot"?

Thanks.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
"Too hot" is when your computer shuts off.

If your fan is actually not functioning, that's something you should take in to get repaired. However, if it was really not functioning I think it would have shut off by itself doing any of those tasks.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I have the 2009 13" 2.26Ghz Macbook Pro. I can tell you firsthand that when streaming video/playing games/doing CPU intensive stuff, it can get pretty freakin hot. I've never reached 200 degrees though...

Usually I get up to about 80C which by my math is about 175F.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2010
"Too hot" is when your computer shuts off.

If your fan is actually not functioning, that's something you should take in to get repaired. However, if it was really not functioning I think it would have shut off by itself doing any of those tasks.

Thank you, Miles.

Excuse my ignorance here, but does the system have a built in regulator that will shut down the computer before it gets hot enough to do damage, or do you mean that "too hot" is when the computer shuts off because it is fried?

And while I can't guarantee the Istat Nano is accurate, I certainly never hear a fan running - with those two pieces of evidence, i'm fairly confident it's not running.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Excuse my ignorance here, but does the system have a built in regulator that will shut down the computer before it gets hot enough to do damage,
That's what he means. Your Mac will shut down if it gets too hot, to prevent damage. Macs can operate safely up to 105C, which is 221F.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
I can get to 200 on heavy tasks, but at that point the fan spikes to a little under 6000rpm. When your CPU temp is getting up near 200, the exhaust fan is designed to increase its speed, and it will bring the temp down rather quickly if it is working correctly. Also, you can't really hear the fan at 2k rpm but at 4k you can and at 6k it is very audible.

phalgun27

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
I have a Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel with 2 gb memory running Mac OSX 10.6.5.

Recently, the machine has been getting VERY hot when streaming any video or other intensive operations. Despite those temperatures, Istat Nano indicates that the exhaust fan (the only fan on this version) is running at zero RPM's.

FYI, by "very hot" I mean temperatures in excess of 200 F degrees. A few days ago, when I discovered this problem, the CPU-A temp reported by Istat Nano was 220 degrees!

Any thoughts on how to solve this? I tried the SMC fan controller but it didn't seem to help. On a related note, what temperature is considered "too hot"?

Thanks.

I am having similar problem now. What was your solution? My Mac is getting hot and exhaust fan is not working. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.