13 inch 2015 Macbook Pro. Is this the best laptop now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dingclancy23, Oct 31, 2016.

1. dingclancy23 macrumors regular

dingclancy23

Was looking through the line-up as I am interested in getting a new Mac. For some reason the 2015 retina MBP is sticking out as a good value. Performance is the same as is the battery, a little-bit worse display, but has more robust ports, a better keyboard, and force touch trackpad. Weight is just .46 pounds heavier. And cheaper too.

This can last me 5 to 6 years still and I think it is still future-proof.

Not sure what I am missing, but this seems to be the best value laptop out of the bunch.

Thoughts?

2. motime macrumors 6502

I would say the best value would be the 15 inch base mbp from 2015. The one you mentioned isn't bad either. There really is 0 reason to upgrade to the new models, they offer nothing significant and charge a huge surplus. You can save all that money and buy a nice monitor or something, the possibilities are endless.

3. Closingracer macrumors 68030

Meh the 15 inch us way to expensive to get a computer with a Haswell cpu

4. motime macrumors 6502

Cpu upgrades haven't mattered for a while. The current processors aren't that much better.

5. Closingracer macrumors 68030

I still wouldn't going in buying a processor that is already 4 generations older at the price + Apple Tax Apple is asking for it.

6. motime macrumors 6502

The question was what would be of best value of the apple macbook line up. The new models are way too over priced, given this the 2015 15 inch is comparatively much better value for money. The 13 inch with 256gb ssd is quite expensive as well, you might as well go for the base 15 inch.

7. Closingracer, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

Closingracer macrumors 68030

$2,000 for a quad core cpu and a slightly bigger screen is not worth spending $500 more for than even the 13 inch base with the 256gb ssd. You can also find it cheaper than that with the holidays coming. No way I would suggest a 15 inch model from 2015 if your sole purpose is to save money.

Base 13 with 256gb ssd MSRP is $1,499 atm.

Bestbuy selling it at $1,399

[​IMG]

Amazon who is an authorized dealer for Macbooks and is sold by them is $1,349

[​IMG]

Sorry unless you need the extra screen space or the quad core cpu I would just get the 13 inch. If you need the bigger screen and quad core cpu than I would actually reluctantly suggest the new model Tbh specially if you're planning on keeping it long term.

8. Closingracer macrumors 68030

And if to be really honest if your not tied to Apple and need a 15 inch laptop I would honestly at least good a good luck at a few Windows products. Might be a better deal if you want power but don't want to spend $2,000 + on a laptop and want a new one.

9. motime macrumors 6502

Of course if he isn't going to need the extra power then there is no use going for the 15 inch, 13 is a lot more portable. Personally the quad core CPU makes a significant difference for me and I love more screen space.

Overall for the money, the 15 inch is the better bang for your buck as you are getting a larger ssd, double the ram, much more powerful processor and larger screen. If someone doesn't need these things then it is better to save a few hundred bucks.