13-inch constant hard disk noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CloudSE, Mar 29, 2011.

1. CloudSE macrumors newbie

Hello

I Just recently noticed that my 2011 MBP was making a constant audible hum from the right side, when I'm in a silent room. I figured that it's probably the hard disk.
    It's not that it' bothers me that much, but I would still like to know if it's normal and if other are experiencing a dead-silent machine in a silent room?

Thank you!

2. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

While I haven't seen this behaviour with a MacBook Pro, I have noticed it with several other notebooks including those from Dell and Hewlett-Packard. My guess is that it's caused by a small amount of vibration of the disk spinning.

If it really bothers you, take it into an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to get their opinion of the matter. You could also run the Apple Hardware Test just to make sure that the disk is working correctly. To run the Apple Hardware Test, please see http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509 for specific instructions for your model.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance, hopefully someone else will have some more insight on this matter. Have a great day. :)

3. CloudSE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply!

The problem is, that i don't think that the store clerk will be able to hear for alle the noise.

I will check the HD-test out!