13 inch Macbook Pro 2.53 for $1000 or wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dubels, Sep 12, 2009.

1. dubels macrumors 6502

I am currently deciding if I really need to upgrade to the new Macbook Pro or not. My current computer is a Core Duo 2.0 ghz Macbook with 2gb of ram. The most intensive program that I use is Photoshop, so I am not too sure if I really need to spend the money right now because my current MB isn't exactly slow but it still is starting to show its age. Currently I am visiting family in Canada and was offered a open box Macbook Pro 2.53 for $1000, and I am really considering it.

Why I am considering the upgrade:
    Current Macbook Problems:
    *Bluetooth problems where the bluetooth all the sudden becomes unavailable
    *It is about time for a new MB battery even though it is at 94% health the battery only last 2.5 hours (Has 420 Cycles)
    *When shutting down the computer it does not shut down but rather it restarts, the only way I can shut it down is by pulling the battery before it hits the restart cycle
    *Screen flickering has disappeared about a year ago but it might come back
    *White keyboard is impossible to clean (I have a black MB keyboard I have yet to install)
    *Run's hot when running streaming video from the internet
    *No longer covered under apple care, and I am looking to apply to law school for next year so a new computer covered under apple care would be nice.
    *Cannot even get 4gb of ram, maxed out at 2gb of ram really does suck
    Superficial reasons:
    *The new MBP to me looks so nice
    *I do want a LED screen but I have been hearing problems with glare and reflections

Why I am holding back:
    *Do I really need a new macbook to surf the web, organizing & editing photos, write papers?
    *How much can I realistically get for a Rev A. Core Duo Macbook?
    *A new OEM battery is only $70 on ebay
    *Currently out of the country (in Canada) and traveling with two laptops will be troublesome (Still have to travel to NYC for a wedding before returning to SF, Cali)
    *The SD slot is nice but is carrying a USB reader that hard while traveling?
    *I still have the black keyboard I can install on my current macbook
    *I have a 500gb hdd in my current macbook that I need to transfer to the new MBP if I do get it.

If there is anything that I have overlooked that the new MBP offers or even if you have any general comments please post it up. Thanks.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

$1000 for an open box 2.53 is a heck of a deal.

But if you can coax a little more use out of your current system, try to keep your current system and wait. God knows new processors will probably be out in a year, and new features.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Open box? Is it from a retailer?

I would proceed with caution.

4. dubels thread starter macrumors 6502

The person got it the day I got to Toronto, Sept. 8th. I went with them to get it but they are finding the switch to OSX a little hard so they went out and bought a brand new Windows machine. The person knows I want one and is holding on to it instead of returning it, and is also offering me this deal. I think offering me around 40% off instead of paying the 15% restocking fee is a very generous offer. So I doubt there is much wrong with the machine besides the person not wanting to switch over to OSX.

Thanks for the responses Cylde2801, and alphaod.

5. boston44 macrumors 6502

It's a great deal, if you can, buy it. I paid more than that for my 2.26 even after the free iPod, and I love the machine.. I only write papers, surf the web, and check email with mine but it's still my favorite computer to date, having tried Dell, Gateway, and HP.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As you feel you can trust the seller, it sounds like an excellent deal. It seems as though you need one now, or will need a change in the fairly near future, so go for it, and make sure you get full enjoyment out of it. Above all, don't torture yourself with thoughts of upgrades; that's life, they happen and that's technology. Instead, enjoy what you have - hopefully, will have - for it is an excellent computer.

Cheers and good luck