'13 inch Macbook Pro any good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cootersgarage6, Feb 5, 2011.

1. cootersgarage6, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

I'm 14 and can't afford a new MacBook right away, I still have the '06 BlackBook that runs fine... But it lags from video editing and making apps on it. The CD drive is also broke, and the computers shell is starting to crack, because the Black models have been known to do that.
    So I want to get the Macbook Pro, not the MacBook, because I want the more RAM, and the RAM is more flexible... so it's a little more future proof. It also has the dual video cards.
    I want to edit slight video on it, like for YouTube, make some Apps on Xcode, which doesn't take any power AT ALL, iWork, some Apps from the App Store, and also Modern Warfare, and the SIMS, and I am talking about really light gaming, not an all the time thing.
    The last thing I want to know is since I'll be getting it this summer, If the refresh will probably be out. I know that it is, and aren't they going to be using Intel Graphics chips instead? But wouldn't that be even worse for gaming?

2. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

13" mbp would be fine for you now.

I heard intel graphics in the sandy bridge processors are comparable to the nvidia graphics in the present 13" mbp.

3. xdbuix macrumors 6502

since ur 14, I think the most realistic option for you is to upgrade your ram. It should be easy to do. Last I checked 8gb of ram= $100ish. That should boost up ur gaming and editing.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The 13" doesn't.

If you want a gamer laptop I'd recommend a much cheaper Windows laptop. When you want a serious reliable laptop that won't cook you a MBP is awesome.

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Base 15" i5 would be a better option if you want more graphics horsepower, no discrete GPU on the 13".

6. Wattser93 macrumors regular

The 13" MBP has just the GT320M FYI. Many people like to hate on the 13" Mbp but I love mine.

This is a better option IMO if you're going to do any video editing. http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC371LL/A?mco=MTgwOTc2ODA

7. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I love my 13" too...Jeez some people on here think the size of there MacBook directly correlates with the size of their **** :D:D Relax guys:rolleyes::apple:

8. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

I'm 13 and I have the 13" and I have done some video editing on it with iMovie and it worked fast. But I haven't and don't plan on gaming with it. If you wanted to do gaming though, you should probably get a PC

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Depending on your financial status, you can get help in paying it. And a 13 is great.

10. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

+1 for the person that has stood there ground on the 13" mbpro...

"I love my 13" too...Jeez some people on here think the size of there MacBook directly correlates with the size of their **** Relax guys"

i've gone from a late 2008 15" with the 9600/9400 to a mid 2010 13" and i love it - not really had any issue at all....
    i dont use FINAL CUT - but do mess with logic studio and even then i'm not grumbling at all...
    for gaming i play wow and bootcamp into windows for all the other games...i know it aint gonna run everything at full but i dont care!!!

i HATE intel HD video cards so there was never an option of me waiting for the refresh...gimme a 320M!!!

11. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

His Blackbook only supports 2 GB of RAM. You can chew that up pretty easily.

I would go for the base 13" MBP in the next refresh. Should be everything you need and more.

12. Wattser93 macrumors regular

Intel can't make a video card to save their lives... It's pathetic.

13. ale500 macrumors regular

Get a refurb... they are under 900€ sometimes. Sell what you have to recover part of it and save as much as possible from your pocket money, get a week-ends job selling newspapers or mowing lawns or just helping your dad/mum :) :D
    Btw, the 13" is a very nice form-factor.