Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nacrawley190

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Raleigh NC
I'm looking to buy my first mac. I had one that I used for work some years ago but it wasn't "mine". It was 15inch 2.2 Intel macboo pro.

I have 1200 to spend. I don't want a retina display or an air.

I need basic computing functions. YouTube, word processing, storage of family photos. Watching movies on the go. Web surfing.

My question is, will the 13inch macbook pro fit the bill? I've read bad things about the screen. I check it out my local apple store and I didn't see much glare. I assume most of was from the lighting in the store.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also Im torn between the apple refurb and a brand new one using a student discount. $100.00 difference, is it worth it?

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
I'm looking to buy my first mac. I had one that I used for work some years ago but it wasn't "mine". It was 15inch 2.2 Intel macboo pro.

I need basic computing functions. YouTube, word processing, storage of family photos. Watching movies on the go. Web surfing.

My question is, will the 13inch macbook pro fit the bill? I've read bad things about the screen. I check it out my local apple store and I didn't see much glare. I assume most of was from the lighting in the store.

Also Im torn between the apple refurb and a brand new one using a student discount. $100.00 difference, is it worth it?

A $1.2K budget is tough when looking for a mac. If you don't plan on doing any game or using graphic-intensive applications, then a 13" would fit your needs perfectly. In fact, for basic computing like you described, you might even be better off with a MacBook Air because they're significantly cheaper (usually). An 11" is only $800, but you can still get a MacBook Pro 13" for $1019 if you wish.

Because your needs are so miniscule in the world of computers, pretty much any MacBook will fit those requirements.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010

Go with the base 13" classic MacBook Pro, which is priced right at your budget of $1,200. The specs on this model will handle everything you listed with ease.

The cool thing is that over time as your budget permits, you can upgrade both the RAM and hard drive for better performance, and at a good value.

As far as the screen goes, I much prefer the MacBook Pro's when compared to the Air's. Although the Air does boast a better resolution, the colors are dark and washed out (IMHO) when compared to the lower resolution MacBook Pro. That said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so your mileage may vary.

nacrawley190

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Raleigh NC
Go with the base 13" classic MacBook Pro, which is priced right at your budget of $1,200. The specs on this model will handle everything you listed with ease.

The cool thing is that over time as your budget permits, you can upgrade both the RAM and hard drive for better performance, and at a good value.

As far as the screen goes, I much prefer the MacBook Pro's when compared to the Air's. Although the Air does boast a better resolution, the colors are dark and washed out (IMHO) when compared to the lower resolution MacBook Pro. That said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so your mileage may vary.

brig

Thanks. That's what Im leaning towards. I'd love to get an ssd and upgrade the ram later on. I know the macbook air you can't which in my opinion stinks.

Also thanks for not calling my computing needs minuscule.

I read somewhere that you can put 16gigs in the 13 inch pro. Is that true?

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
brig

Thanks. That's what Im leaning towards. I'd love to get an ssd and upgrade the ram later on. I know the macbook air you can't which in my opinion stinks.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive :p

I was just trying to say that what you're looking to do isn't very demanding.

Also, you can put 16GB in the 15" MBP.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA

You can, but it's pretty pointless for 99% of users.

The glossy screen on the Pro drives me nuts if I can't control the light - like if I'm in a public place or stuck by a window. At home it's not a big deal.

Go for a refurb if you can find one. Amazon, Best Buy, and B&H often have good deals as well.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
brig

You can put 16GB of RAM in the 13" classic MacBook Pro. I should know as I upgraded my 13" base classic MacBook Pro this weekend :D

Funny thing is, Apple will only configure up to 8GB if you wanted them to do it, but as I said, it does take and recognize 16GB. Great thing about RAM is that it is 1) Extremely easy to replace yourself, and 2) Is extremely cheap. I bought a 16GB Corsair kit off Amazon for $65.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
You can, but it's pretty pointless for 99% of users.

The glossy screen on the Pro drives me nuts if I can't control the light - like if I'm in a public place or stuck by a window. At home it's not a big deal.

Go for a refurb if you can find one. Amazon, Best Buy, and B&H often have good deals as well.

Don't forget dealmac, too. Every now and then they have some really good deals listed.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Refurbs are usually the way to go, but shop around before you buy from Apple. I've seen the base model 13" MBP on sale at Frys for $999 several times. I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're near a Frys, watch their prices too.

And yes, the 13" MBP can use 16GB of RAM. If you want to max it out, I say go for it! You'll notice a bigger difference in usability when upgrading to a SSD. ;)

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I've seen the base model 13" MBP on sale at Frys for $999 several times. I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're near a Frys, watch their prices too.

Check Microcenter, if you have one near you, too.

nacrawley190

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Raleigh NC
Don't know where any of those places are. I assume they aren't near by. I live in the Raleigh NC area.

So would the ram upgrade and ssd swap on the base 13" mbp be worth it? Is there a point in so much upgrading?

Also Im interested to know how many out there use their macs for normal computing. Most of the posts I've read tend to sound like users that have a bad attitude towards anyone that wants a good solid everyday computer. Not you guys, you all seem to be very helpful to a newb. What gives?

----------

Haha my bad ;P

No, mine.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
Don't know where any of those places are. I assume they aren't near by. I live in the Raleigh NC area.

So would the ram upgrade and ssd swap on the base 13" mbp be worth it? Is there a point in so much upgrading?

Also Im interested to know how many out there use their macs for normal computing. Most of the posts I've read tend to sound like users that have a bad attitude towards anyone that wants a good solid everyday computer. Not you guys, you all seem to be very helpful to a newb. What gives?

----------

No, mine.

You sound exactly like me. I'm not a computer programmer/professional photographer/video renderer, etc. I'm just a normal every day Joe that wanted to get away from Windows and try OSX, and I admit that I love the design and quality of the MacBook line.

I watch a lot of video, view and post to a lot forums, Facebook, online banking, fantasy football, very minor photo and video editing (pics and vids from my iPhone 5).

I can tell you without a doubt that you will immediately notice a big difference using an SSD over a mechanical hard drive. It makes just about everything snappier and almost instantaneous. I can't recommend this upgrade enough.

The RAM is somewhat noticeable as well, but nowhere near as much as the SSD.

nacrawley190

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Raleigh NC
You sound exactly like me. I'm not a computer programmer/professional photographer/video renderer, etc. I'm just a normal every day Joe that wanted to get away from Windows and try OSX, and I admit that I love the design and quality of the MacBook line.

I watch a lot of video, view and post to a lot forums, Facebook, online banking, fantasy football, very minor photo and video editing (pics and vids from my iPhone 5).

I can tell you without a doubt that you will immediately notice a big difference using an SSD over a mechanical hard drive. It makes just about everything snappier and almost instantaneous. I can't recommend this upgrade enough.

The RAM is somewhat noticeable as well, but nowhere near as much as the SSD.

Good to know. I've noticed a lot of snobishness up here.

What sort of ssd should i look at? They may be an upgrade for the fall when i get more money from my scholarship.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I went with a Crucial m4 256GB in my 13" when I had it. Worked like a charm. There seem to be quite a few around here that either go with a Crucial m4, or one of the Samsung (830, 840, or 840 Pro) SSD. Some also prefer the OWC drives or the Corsair ones, but I'd say that Crucial or Samsung are the more popular ones.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
I went with a Crucial m4 256GB in my 13" when I had it. Worked like a charm. There seem to be quite a few around here that either go with a Crucial m4, or one of the Samsung (830, 840, or 840 Pro) SSD. Some also prefer the OWC drives or the Corsair ones, but I'd say that Crucial or Samsung are the more popular ones.

I would second this. I put in a Samsung 840 Pro myself. That said, the Crucial M4 would probably be your best bet for value/performance. You can get a 256GB drive for less than 200, or a 128GB drive for close to $100.

As far as installation goes, it's a complete breeze. HD videos and tutorials all over the place on YouTube to walk you through each step.

----------

Good to know. I've noticed a lot of snobishness up here.

Don't let a few fools get to you. There are bad apples in every bunch. There are lots of great posters here who aren't judgmental and try to help where they can, so don't let them turn you off from these forums :D

nacrawley190

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Raleigh NC
How does the current 13 inch compare to the old 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo macbook pro with 2gb of ram? That's what I used for laying out magazines a few years back.

----------

I would second this. I put in a Samsung 840 Pro myself. That said, the Crucial M4 would probably be your best bet for value/performance. You can get a 256GB drive for less than 200, or a 128GB drive for close to $100.

As far as installation goes, it's a complete breeze. HD videos and tutorials all over the place on YouTube to walk you through each step.

----------

Don't let a few fools get to you. There are bad apples in every bunch. There are lots of great posters here who aren't judgmental and try to help where they can, so don't let them turn you off from these forums :D

I will check out the install videos. Ram I can do. But I've never installed a ssd. A few Hdd.

Bad apples? Nice pun.

I understand. I think most people have good intentions. I just cannot stand people that won't just let other people be.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
As the other posters have said, the Samsung 840 or 840 Pro are great drives. I've got a Crucial M4 in my MBP and it's been fast and trouble free for several months now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.