13-inch Macbook Pro Retina Wifi Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ricky0813, Jan 2, 2013.

1. ricky0813, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013

ricky0813 macrumors newbie

I have bought a 2012 13' Macbook Pro Retina in Christmas Holiday. And actually I am a beginner on MAC. After bringing the Macbook home and finished all setting. I find that there are some problems on connecting the Wifi.

1. The icon on top right hand corner show me the Wifi signal is in the best state
    2. When I only use Chrome to do searching on the internet. The Wifi is function well.
    3. When I use Chrome and Skype at the same time. Wifi Disconnect will be happened. My skype will be disconnected per 20 mins. But the Wifi icon is also in the best state.
    4. When I use Chrome, Skype and Sopcast at the same time. Then the Wifi is disconnect frequently. However, the icon also show me the signal is in the strongest state.
    5. When I shut all the apps down and open Chrome again, it takes a long time to open a website (20 - 30s). I need to restart my Macbook, then everything get fixed.

Hence I really want to know is my router (TP Link, 802.11g) not compatible/matched with my Macbook. Because my sister also have a 15-inch Macbook retina, she also have the same problems, the wifi connection is very very slow (sometimes). But my PCs, iPhone, samsung galaxy and iPad are work fine with my router.

Do I need to buy Airport or Time Capsule to solve the problems.

Million thanks for the advice.

2. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

First things first, have you done a software update to ensure you are fully up to date including the EFI update?

3. DayVe3000 macrumors member

I've just bought a 13-inch MBP with Retina display, havent encountered any problems.

However, as mentioned above - I do recall an EFI update appearing the first or second time I ran System Update, make sure the machine is bang up-to date . . . It can only help.

I wouldnt say you 'need' AirPort or a Time Capsual. Im using a HG533 ADSL router, supplied from my ISP and I can say my WiFi performs just fine.

4. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Yup, I just bought mine a few days before xmas and it has been fine but the very first thing I did was run system update and I saw the EFI update and it's mention of fixing a Wifi issue.

5. DayVe3000 macrumors member

Might also be worth checking up on how your WLAN configuration matches Apples recommended settings;

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4199

I know the above is specifically for iOS - but seems good advice.

6. ricky0813 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for the advice.

Actually I have updated my Macbook to the latest version (By using software update). However I cannot find any firmware update for my router.

And now I am trying to set the router that apple recommended. Because sometimes my machine connect to the internet very very slow.