13 inch macbook pro update soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by David-fr, Nov 4, 2010.

1. David-fr macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I usually don't do posts like this but am desperate.

I need to get a new machine SOON! am rocking my IBM T60p Core duo 2.16 ghz >_>! I want to get a Macbook pro 13 inch but come on Penryr 3 year old core for 1500 dlls, i think is not worth it. I need it for school and will hook it up with a 27 display at home.

Question is any idea when will the 13inch will get refresh to a decent core i3 or i5?

I start school on February, and i really need it any ideaS?

2. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

lol searching works wonders... :rolleyes:
    January-june? Its anyones guess.

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

People are assuming that Apple will have a refresh in Jan-Feb but it's all speculation.

Search for old topics on this subjects, there are plenty.

4. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

5. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the buyer guide says is closed to an end of a cycle @_@. But with the whole Nvidia and Intel deal do you guys think Apple will keep the C2D? Since you cannot build a machine with new intel cores and intrgraded Nvidia graphics

6. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

nah i don't think they will. I am thinking they will get rid of optic drive to fit a discrete graphics card in the 13" People are saying jan-feb because its been so long since we have seen an update.

7. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

Hopefully, i haven't use mine in MONTHS xD

Ok this will sound crazy but this is what i think:

Remember the 1st MBA? 1st unibody machine with a bigger trackpad. Months after (can't recall how many) Apple introduced the new line of Macbooks and Macbooks pro based a lot on MBA desing! So will they maybe build a new gen of machines based on the new MBA? mm Sounds crazy but it has a bit of logic. :)

8. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

I feel the next update will be early next year around March-April. This is just a guess but that seems about right.

9. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400a Safari/6531.22.7)

I think you're right but I think what will inspire the Mbps from the airs is the solid state storage and that instant on tech rather than loss of the optical drive. not that this could't happen too. But people are really impressed with the performance of the airs. Imagine what it would be like to have that kind of performance in a laptop with a high end CPU!

10. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

So i guess i will drop 2100 on a 15 inch >_<!

11. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

Apple is unlikely to ever put i5/i7 into the 13 inch MBP because that would require that they include a separate discrete graphics card.

But they don't have the room for it in the 13 inch Macbook Pro (or rather, they'd prefer to go with a slightly slower processor for better Nvidia 320M graphics and slightly better battery life)

I doubt you'll see a 13 inch Macbook Pro with a new processor until Sandy Bridge (and if the current spat between Nvidia and Intel is any indication, it is not likely that we'll be getting better graphics, so maybe the MBP13 will be phased out or continue using Core 2)

12. Macbees macrumors newbie

I thought core2 will be phased out by intel by year end? My guess is apple will go core ix with discrete graphics minus optical drive. If you need optical drive in your laptop, get one now...
    HDD on the MBP will still be around to keep costs low and an option for those who need the capacity.
    SSD as an upgrade option.
    My 2 cents..

13. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I don't think there will be any updates till around next April,and that's when I get mine. I'm going for a 13" MBP and REALLY hope to get an i3 in it. I love my i3 Thinkpad,so much better than my Late 09 C2D MB. I can't wait to get another Mac. I so miss Mac OSX, iMac or MBP next spring, last think I buy for myself before I get married in June. :)

14. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

So isnt that a shame? 3 year old processor on a not inexpensive laptop..

15. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

Hurry cause then u will have to ask for permission :)

16. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Not a whole lot different from an MBA, I suspect. Unless you really run apps that stress the CPU.

17. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

True, however that's only because it's the first Mac to only come with an SSD. Therefore more people are experiencing SSD's for the first time.

I've got 2 yrs experience with approximately fifteen different SSD's I've tested in both my ThinkPads & Macs. While they keep getting better, trash collection is far from perfected yet. Since it's different on a Mac & takes longer to fill up, the general myth is Macs don't have garbage collection issues. This is untrue. It's just deceiving because it takes far longer for the trash to collect.

Finally, I say the technology is too immature. Give them six to eight months, then DDS's will be ready for prime time. They will also come down in price & up in capacitiy.
    [

18. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

All i want is a core ix processor in the MBP 13 in ¬¬ a C2D sounds crazy to me.

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

Read this ars technica article and it makes more sense.

Still would be nice if they'd had a way around the limitations, but the more I think about this the less it really concerns me for my usage.

I can't think of very many instances where my current system (C2D) has been clearly cpu-bound. In those instances it really didn't matter much if the thing I was doing took three minutes or six minutes to complete.

20. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

i was gonna say that!