13 Inch Macbook Pro w/ Upgraded Memory & RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by apandy0167, Aug 1, 2011.

1. apandy0167 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, just curious, what do you think would be better?
    A 13 Inch Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz model(i5) w/ Upgraded Memory (500gb) & RAM(8GB) versus a stock 13inch Macbook Pro 2.07Ghz Model (i7). Which would run faster?

2. apandy0167 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but say for instance i upgraded the MacbookPro 13 Inch i5 to 8GB , 500GB specs. What would you say to that compared to the Macbook Pro i7 stock? The difference would be that the former has more RAM memory. Since the cost will be the same for an upgraded i5 versus a stock i7, im wondering whether the increased RAM will actually be benficial? Or is it worth keeping 4GB RAM and going with the i7 stock?

3. simsaladimbamba

The amount of RAM and the speed of the CPU really depend on your computational needs and habits. Many can easily live with an i5 and 4GB RAM, others can't.
    As the CPU is not upgradeable, I would always go with the highest CPU I can get for an okay amount of money and upgrade RAM and SSD/HDD later, especially since I can get it for less than Apple charges. 8GB RAM can be sometimes had for 50 USD with special deals on Newegg, but often it costs at least less than 100 USD. The same goes for HDDs and SSDs from third party vendors.