13 inch MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Patdt13, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

I'm getting one of the new MacBook Pros for college and I need help deciding which one to buy. I will be using it for college stuff, iWork, iLife, Safari, Movies, etc. any suggestions on what to use?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Base model is fine for you. High-end 13" has nothing different from low-end (only 270MHz faster CPU which is unnoticeable). Buy RAM from http://crucial.com

3. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I pretty much have the same needs as you along with a few minor video and photo editing. And will be getting the baseline model or something used as soon as I can get the money together. I don't have it yet, but I know i'll be happy.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

No need to buy RAM, it comes with 2GB as standard which is MORE than enough to do the tasks outlined.

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Don't forget to get your student discount (100 bucks).

6. qacjared macrumors regular

And remember if you don't want the free iPod or free Printer you should get them and do the rebates anyway so you can sell them to save money. Textbooks are expensive!!! Here's how to save $250 that could buy half your books!!!

Edu Discount 13" MBP = 1099
    Cost of MBP 13" plus iPod Touch 8GB with Back to School = $1099
    Cost of MBP 13" + iPod Touch 8GB + Free Printer with Back to School and free printer deal = $1099
    Sell iPod Touch for $200 = (-$200)
    Sell Printer for $50 = (-$50)
    New Cost of 13" MBP = 849.99

Savings of $250!!

7. symple84 macrumors member

Where do you get the printer I only see the iPod Touch?

8. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

Good luck trying to find someone to buy that printer.
    And both of those are mail-in rebates!

9. mrj205 macrumors regular

go base 13MBP. if you need it down the road you can always swap the HDD and/or the RAM. the MBP even comes with instructions on how to do this...:D

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Go for the base model, it sounds fine for your requirements and it should manage to meet your computing needs through college admirably. Time enough to upgrade/sell when you graduate and there have been enough technological advances to justify it in the meantime.

Cheers and good luck

11. will0407 macrumors 6502a

The printer option is on the page as an upgrade option, where you can choose your ram, HD etc configurations

12. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Don't for get tax on all of that, you still pay tax on ipod and printer too. So you probably need to add at least another 100 bucks to that price. Probably more don't know where you are. But its there too.

13. will0407 macrumors 6502a

the deal runs til september. if you want it now, get the one you can afford now, if you're happy to wait, save up a bit more cash and then get whichever one you can afford in sept.

14. nyte3k macrumors member

nyte3k

If i was me, i would wait until it's closer to the school year, save up and get the 13" macbook pro. I know, he doesn't need it, but I sure like the looks a hell of a lot better! :)

(not to mention in Georgia, there is a back-to-school tax-free weekend around august that covers computers and such...so that would be another nice discount.)

15. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

I think they are talking about the Macbook pro not the regular one

16. jay1118 macrumors member

jay1118

I pulled the trigger on the 13 inch Macbook Pro after WWDC and i have no regrets. This is my first apple laptop and i love it.

Never going back to windows!

17. iag48 macrumors regular

thats assuming you can sell the iPOD for $200! I've had my iPOD (NIB) on craigslist.org for since the new mbp was released and it has not sold. I even lowered it to 175.:(:(

18. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I sold my iPod on amazon in less than 24 hours. I think I put it for $189.

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Any current apple portable should work for your intended purposes, including the whitebook.

You may see if you can scout around on craigslist for a last gen unibody macbook for a discount. Just make sure it was bought in 09 to avoid the crap screens they put in some of them in late 08.

A refurb whitebook (with the 9400 video card) can be had on the apple refurb store for @750. Pretty good macbook for the money.

20. brendu macrumors 68020

clyde is right... the whitebook would be just as good a computer for the tasks you stated... the only reason to go to the mbp is the unibody at which point you have to ask yourself is it worth the extra $200+ dollars for that... if it is, go for it... i will admit that the mbp will probabally last longer both due to more upgradable RAM in the mbp up to 8gb and the unibody design... if money is a factor you could seriously consider the whitebook though...