Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lawler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Halifax, UK
Hi all

I have now sold my laptop so need to get a new MBP (cannot wait forever for any updates!)

Decided to go for the 13 inch 2.9GHz with 512GB storage.

One thing I cannot decide is what RAM to get. 8GB seems enough for what I want (basic browsing, light photo editing etc) but I keep thinking I am missing out by not upgrading to 16GB...

Am I over thinking this? I know I need to decide now as it cannot be added later and for future proofing purposes it would make sense but part of me thinks it would be overkill.

Thoughts?

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Just my humble opinion, but yeah...you're over-thinking it. Just get 16GB of RAM - that will allow your current programs to run faster, and if you ever do any sort of 3D or video editing, you'll be happy you got 16GB.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
These days, 8 GB RAM would be considered almost as a standard; however, if finance is not an issue, why not opt for 16GB?

I have 8 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD on my MBA and it is an excellent and super fast combination.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
I have 8gb on a 2013 model 13" rMBP and its fine for everything so 8gb will be fine. As others have said, get the best you can afford though and if you can stretch to 16gb then you are just future proofing the device for a few more years.

wombat94

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2010
I did the same evaluation last month when I was ready to purchase my 2015 13" rMBP.

I arrived at the same CPU/SSD combination - 2.9GHz i5/512GB SSD.

For RAM, I decided not to look at the RAM upgrade.

I use a 2014 15" rMBP for work - the only time I feel RAM pressure on that machine is when I am running multiple Windows VMs at the same time.

I feel that OS X (macOS will take a while to get used to) is just fine in 8GB of RAM. I do run VMWare Fusion on my new 13" and am fine with the performance, though I haven't run multiple VMs I expect that the dual core vs. quad core would be as much of a limiting factor as the RAM.

Having said all of that, I think if the extra $200 is not a killer to your budget, more is always better for future proofing a non-upgradeable component.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
If you can afford it without issue and plan to keep the machine for several years, go for 16 GB.
Otherwise you can get by with 8 GB.

mountain

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
For what you do I think 8GB is more than enough. Yes, more RAM is better but not for what you do and you'll not get your money worth. If you're going to upgrade 3-4 years and not doing anything intensive then 8GB is more than enough.

skm8159

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2014
For what you do I think 8GB is more than enough. Yes, more RAM is better but not for what you do and you'll not get your money worth. If you're going to upgrade 3-4 years and not doing anything intensive then 8GB is more than enough.

Get 16GB, it allows for very fast response with multi-tasking in 8-10 apps with photo/video/music apps running parallel. And also Win 10 running in VM.

I got 16GB, glad I did not go 8. I upgraded SSD also, because I don't want external storage for my stuff other then dvd rip's.

lawler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Halifax, UK
It's a shame they do not do the 16gb stock to buy at the store and has to be ordered.

Might have to just bite the bullet and order the 16gb version - I just hope it comes to some use!

Reactions: jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.