13-inch MBP now, or wait until new one in April?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pccw9, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Pccw9, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

Pccw9 macrumors newbie

Pccw9

I want to buy a 13-inch MacBook pro, but should I buy now, or wait until this supposed April MacBook pro refresh?

I want one, as my 2008 Mac mini isn't working very well anymore and I want a laptop to use for mobility but still want the power of a MacBook pro. plus with the black Friday deals tomorrow, is it better to buy it then? Or wait until April?

Cheers :apple:

Paul Reckonfoldinson

2. urkel, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

I'm not sure about that. Right now the only thing that makes the 13" MBP a "Pro" machine is it's shell. But the internals lack a dedicated GPU, it sports an outdated Core2Duo processor and the screen resolution is less than even the 13" Macbook Air.

So, as someone itching for a new MBP13 also, I feel it's best to wait because we're due for a big upgrade on all levels. The unibody shell will be about 3yrs old so a redesign may be in order (less bezel around screen please), new processor (Sandy Bridge), better screen, dedicated GPU ("Integrated" and "Pro" shouldn't be allowed in the same sentence) and maybe even a touchpad screen (wishful thinking, but with them integrating iOS to the Mac OS then it makes sense to make that touchpad an iPod Touch).

That said. If you MUST buy now then the current MBP is fantastic. 10hr battery, good weight, solid design and holiday prices. But for me, I'll wait.

3. Pccw9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Pccw9

Thanks for the reply. Money is not really an issue. I just do not want extra computers laying around when the new MBPs come out.

Do you really think they will have touch screens? That would be superior.

Paul Reckonfoldinson

4. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

no its really unlikely for touchscreens to come on... and why would you want a touchscreen on a laptop (not a tablet)
    if it was a tablet than yeah it would be rad, but touchscreen on the current gen MBP is just weird..

5. dj2mc macrumors member

dj2mc

Touch screen is why your iPad and iPhone models are around. Whether they incorporate them into laptops in the future or not; it's a waste. Use the tech in the pad and phone. It's where it belongs.
    Mulitouch track pads are the farthest I'd go with Apple products- such as the MacBook Air. Pure genius, and sexy. :)

6. applepearpp macrumors regular

if you have an alternative computer and it's working fine, get it until the next refresh. you most likely won't regret the wait. It should be a major upgrade rather than a speed bump.

if your computer is dying and you basically live off a friend's computer or public library, get it right now.

7. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I'd wait until April for the next revision if you don't need one now. And then if it is a major refresh with big architectural changes or case changes then it might be worth waiting for Apple to iron out any initial production problems or glitches with the first batch of them. By that time it will probably worth waiting for the next minor refresh, which will be rumoured. And if that is only a minor spec bump you might as well wait for the next major revision.

:)

8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

when do you guys think the rumors will start going around? is it 1-2 months before or 3-4 months before?

9. jungeliest macrumors member

:)

1. Sell your current machine.
    2. Buy refurbished.
    3. Return to 1 when you start seeing next generation MBP on the refurb list.

First gen MBPs are prone to have problems. But refurbs almost always work.

10. urkel, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010

urkel macrumors 68030

Not next gen, but some day.

But what I find so gross is how many CONSUMERS can take the words of a Corporation as "fact" so easily. "We want video on a Nano", "7in is too small for a tablet", "We DON'T want video on a Nano", "We don't want BluRay", "Touch screen doesn't work on anything but an iPhone or iPad".
    As a consumer who enjoys options then it's sick to see people make decisions based purely on what Steve Jobs claims is fact. The People who argue against Touchscreen forget a major point. Touch on a computer doesn't REPLACE anything. It simply introduces a new input option that doesn't hurt traditional input like Mouse, Keyboard, Trackpad at all. Scroll away with a mouse wheel, type with a keyboard and use a brush stroke with a touchscreen. How in the world is offering options "a bad idea"? Especially when Apple is pushing so hard for their desktop OS to emulate the feel of iOS. If its natural on an iPadother what makes it so unnatural on a Macbook Pro?

I get heavy duty work done with an iPad, stand and keyboard so in no way do I feel touching the screen then typing is "exhausting" or giving me gorilla arm. In fact, I wouldn't mind a mouse for the iPad sometimes. So what's wrong with feeling the same for my actual OSX experience? Sometimes I want to mouse click, sometimes I want to touch. Apple proved their superiority in the touch arena so its sad that they (and their fans) can be so against it in OS X.

11. ikir macrumors 6502a

Still a fantastic machine, for being a 13" with a very good gfx chip, sleek, Core 2 duo is fine for 90% of works. naturally if you can wait.. better anyway :)

Future or not, Apple =! Steve Jobs and i also agree to every sentence here. multitouch is much better on a computer imho.

12. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

wait.. im confused.. is this an example of a corporation "contradicting what they say? lol.... they might in the next 10 years switch everything to touch cuz thats where its gonna be going.. either that or things like the "Sixth Sense" device

13. van2010rulz macrumors regular

I have a question about the new Macbook Pros. Does anybody think that the price will go up? Right now i think it's a good price. At least at Apple Standards. I was reading an article on this website that said a base MBP will be $1799? I know i shouldn't believe everything online, but this raises a good question. Personally, an ssd and Light Peak are not as important to me if it is going to raise the price. A faster processor would be great, but i think i can live with the C2D. I'm not willing to pay $1799 for a MBP. That's just me. I can put in an SSD later, assuming that you can still remove the HD in the next model.

http://www.coated.com/2011-macbook-pro-with-light-peak-and-ssd/

14. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

in the context of what you are asking:
    my guess is this is what they "assume" is the 15" model's base price.. i highly doubt it.. wasn't the MBA much more expensive before and now they have dropped it (im not sure,, 100% its a guess to me)

15. SteveNYC macrumors newbie

Well, they've milked the C2D about as far as they can, so I think most feel it's very likely that the April refresh will include a Core i3 processor. The 15" MBP occupies the Core i5 and Core i7 arena, so there's no reason for it to go north of the Core i3. What chipset the 13" MBP uses for video is an open question.

But consider this, it won't be as good as what's available on the 15" MBP. It simply can't. If what the rumors are saying is true and the next iteration of the 15" is going to have a new SSD and be priced north of $1,700 and will remove the optical drive while maintaining a lower priced 15" WITH a mechanical hard drive and the optical drive, do you think they'll improve the graphics card on this "lower level" 15"? I doubt it. Therefore, you have the upper boundary of the graphics capability of the next 13" MBP.

What I'm trying to say is, yes, you will likely see an improvement in the processor and yes, you'll probably see a graphics improvement as well (maybe the Nvidia GT 330M that's on the 15" now).

Will the price change? Who knows?!? My gut says no, but that's just gut.

But what is it that you're hoping to do? If it's just about getting as fast a system as possible, then yes, wait. But if you're planning to do something that requires increased power, I can't honestly say that I expect the 13" MBP to ever occupy that role anyway, so then buy now while the MacConnection and/or MacMall prices are still good.

Let us know what you decided to do. It's Christmas in November!