13-inch MBP review

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Canuckistan, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Canuckistan macrumors member

I just spotted this review of the 13-inch MBP on the notebookreview.com site:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5105&review=apple+macbook+pro+13

Generally positive, the review is critical of heat build-up, the SATA problem, and a highly reflective screen.

Am I correct in thinking that an SSD produces significantly less heat than a conventional drive? Is so, this would be a good reason to take the SSD path. No?

Is the screen reflective even when there's no direct sunlight or bulblight at play?

Are you always able to see reflection of self and neighbouring objects?

2. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Heat is such a subjective concept. What "feels" hot to some doesn't feel hot to others. I have been using my moms 2.4 Unibody macbook for a couple weeks, and find it to run very cool and efficient. I'm curious, does the new 13" MacBook Pro seem to run any different as far as temps?

3. FriskiesWTF macrumors newbie

No it does not.
    I'm typing on the new 13" right now with it charging, and it is very cool compared to other laptops I have used.

The screen does produce a reflection, but if you have a light wallpaper then you won't notice it. I was using it next to a lamp and did not notice a reflection.

The screen is very easy to see at surprisingly steep angles.

4. macat macrumors newbie

No heat issues with the 13" mbp(hd version). They feel cool to touch on the bottom. My only complaint with the screen is that the colors look a bit washed out, otherwise it is a beautiful screen, very bright for a laptop.

5. phillyeagles615 macrumors newbie

phillyeagles615

hd version?

6. Ashhong macrumors member

am i right in assuming the heat probably isnt much more than the previous 13" unibody, and that the screen is not more reflective than that model also? i hope so, as i had no real problems with those. the laptop does get pretty warm though

7. RED™ macrumors regular

RED™

I'm sure the poster means a hard drive version :)

8. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

No doubt the SSD would reduce heat. And also increases durability, as there are no moving parts in an SSD drive. The unibody is such a great design, it turns the entire laptop into a giant heat sink. So heat is really disbursed all over the computer. I don't usually pay attention to the professional reviews, because the tests they run on the computers are extreme. I would never do anything even near that intensive on my computers.

9. simonshek macrumors member

dude, the latest macbook pro is already way cooler then my macbook pro (early 2006).... what do you wanna?! a cold notebook?! huh? b.s. :eek:

10. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Not sure about the heat issue. I have watched a few YouTube reviews and everyone that mentions heat coming from the MBP 13" says it's a lot cooler than the previous models. Reviews, it's always subjective. :rolleyes:

11. canglan macrumors newbie

canglan

my 13" MBP runs quite hot, 60C under average load. This is with X25-M SSD.

12. Philflow macrumors 65816

The review says the Macbook Pro gets hot in Windows.

No surprise there. Previous gen uMB also gets very hot in Windows.