13-inch, Mid 2010, MacBook Pro Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by deno, Dec 26, 2012.

1. deno macrumors newbie

Hi all

I want to get a new battery for my Macbook, i'm getting about 30 minutes usage at the moment. I'm getting confused about which one to get. I'm confident in changing it myself so that's not a problem, I just want to get the correct one.

For example, the battery here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Battery/4300/1

Looks different to this:

http://www.smartbright.co.uk/apple-macbook-13"-a1278-laptop-batteries-4200mah-of-21375.html

After googles for A1278.

Can someone send me a definitive link to a UK vendor that I can trust to get the correct/good quality replacement?

Thanks lots

Dene

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is the genuine Apple battery you want. The price on that second link makes me think that is not a OEM Apple battery, but a knockoff.

Sorry I can't help you with a UK source. Is there an Apple Store around you could try?

3. deno thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. Yeah, I got an Apple store fairly nearby but will they sell me a battery for self fitting? I think it's around £100 + VAT for them to fit it. I think this looks genuine so might get it from here:

http://goo.gl/mr1UP

Cheers

Dene

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Apple won't sell you the battery uninstalled. Here in Canada it's around $140 installed from Apple.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That price still makes me suspicious. That converts to about $78 USD, and the legit battery from iFixit is $119 USD.

If I am doing my conversion correctly,, £100 installed for a legit OEM battery is not that bad.

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

That battery looks fine - safe enough buying through Amazon - it is described as genuine Apple - what could possibly go wrong (!!).

The main problem is searching using "A1278" since that model number covers both the original early MacBook Unibodies (late 2008) which did have a replaceable battery and the later Unibodies like yours which don't have a user-removable battery. Some of the batteries you are picking up are for the late 2008 MacBooks which as you have found out look very different and won't fit....

7. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

I'd just get it swapped at apple. If you have Applecare, you can get it done for free.

8. deno thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have applecare so have gone ahead and ordered the Amazon battery.

Should be ok I think...

Dene

9. deno thread starter macrumors newbie

Piece of cake!

Ordered battery yesterday, arrived today, fitted in less that 5 minutes! Very easy job.

The battery 'looks' genuine. If it's not, they've gone to a lot to trouble to make it look so. All the markings are identical to the battery I took out, Designed by Apple in California, Assembled in china etc. etc.' I have no reason at all to doubt his description.

Job done. Thanks for the advice on here. Much appreciated.

Dene