13 inch MPB good enough?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weezycarterf, Apr 19, 2010.

1. weezycarterf macrumors newbie

I was wondering whether the 13-inch MBP with 2.66Ghz C2D and 4gb RAM is good enough for the following usage:

Mixing songs on Garage Band (some recording of stuff, too)
    Some Photoshop use
    Internet surfing... etc.

Thanks...

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no, you need a macpro

the mbp will crawl to a snails pace with that usage

3. bluetick macrumors member

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Someone needs to remove the MBP forum from their Forum Spy for a little bit......:p;)

OP, the MBP that you are asking about will handle all of that just fine.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I know lol. Sad thing is that threads like this are not unique:(

Indeed. more than capable

6. Surely Guest

Surely

I know. They keep coming and coming and coming and coming.......

7. vant macrumors 65816

+1. You'll also need a 64" screen to able to use the GUI for Garageband.

8. Yoohoo1231 macrumors newbie

The only warning I can give you is that the audio in and out jacks aren't split. There's only the one in/out jack so if you record using a line in you can't use headphones at the same time.

Sorry if that's unclear.

9. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I know professional musicians still chugging away with their first generation C2D Macbook Pros. And I still know some well paid graphic artist still doing fine on their slower then core2duo G5 PowerMacs. You'll be more then fine with those specs.

10. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Yes, it will do just fine. Too much focus is placed on having the "latest" processor. Are they faster? Yes, but most people are never going to use their computers that extensively anyway. And think about this.. just how did they survive before the new processors anyway..:D

The C2D is a very good processor and the 13" MBP is stellar. So buy one and enjoy it.

I upgraded to a Core i7 because I do Aerospace Design and actually need the power to run the 3D CAD software I use (a $2,000 pkg) to do my job. Otherwise I would still be using my C2D MacBook Pro that was only six months old. A fine machine.

Cheers... :)

11. weezycarterf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies..

Would I feel a significant improvement by getting the base 15 inch model?

The reason I am hesitating on getting a 13 inch is because I am also planning on getting the iPad and I don't want the two devices to be too "similar" haha...

12. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

I never advise anybody to get a 13" after having used one since the unibody shell came out. I've gone back to the 15" and it is a world of difference especially with arrendale or h/e it is spelt

13. UKBeast macrumors 6502

Depends on the software you are using, if it is for daily tasks like using safari, itunes, iphoto and all that sort of software, the performance difference will be negligible Though if you are to use CAD 3D, final cut and similar engineering software you will see good performance improvement.

Generally, overall Operating System performance will be more or less the same, we are still using snow leopard..

I do not think that ipad is a replacement for macbook pro 13inch.. its capabilities are not enough for many things, it is just a big iphone...

14. Danielclark macrumors newbie

Im going to use a new 13" MBP for school use (take it to school every day) and for a home studio, where i am going to hook it up to a external monitor. My friends whitebook from 07 worked with no problems so im guessing the new one will also do just fine.

15. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

The MacBook has audio in/out jacks that aren't split. OP says he wants a MacBook Pro which, according to what I have read as I research my purchase, does have separate jacks.

16. Yoohoo1231 macrumors newbie

Check again. The 13" has the combined jack. The 15 & 17" have split jacks though.

17. b4uloveme macrumors newbie

b4uloveme

Everybody please stop buying 13" mbp, push apple up date 13" with i5as soon as possible

18. weezycarterf thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, but I have another question:

How long do I have so that I can return the MBP for a full refund? I know if I open the product I have to pay for the restocking fee, but what about if I return it within 14 days?