13 inch or 15 inch Haswell Retina MacBook Pro??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boombox15, Oct 23, 2013.

1. boombox15 macrumors regular

Hi everyone!!!

4 months, 13 days ago was a bad day for many of us. At WWDC 2013, we only got a new MacBook Air. No new MacBook Pro!! :(

Well now, we finally have the Haswell Retina MacBook Pro and it seems like it was indeed worth the wait!!

I currently have the early 2013 15 inch MacBook Pro with 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, and 512GB of Flash. I am going to sell it to get the new one. It's a nice machine, but I am trying to decide if the 13 inch might work for me this time because it has MUCH better graphics.

I would do these things on the computer.

Use all of the pre-loaded apps
    Download more from the Mac App Store
    Use iPhoto, and iMovie
    Edit photographs in Aperture
    Use Pages, Keynote, and Numbers

I am thinking of going with either the standard $1799 13 inch with maybe an i7 or 16GB of RAM

Or, the standard $2599 model for the 15 inch.

I think that the 13 inch is right for me, and it's compact size should do well. Would like to get some feedback first.

Plan to buy sometime in the next month, maybe even on Black Friday.

My other mac that I use is a late 2013 21.5 inch Haswell iMac with a 1TB Hard Drive and 2.7GHz, and 8GB RAM.

Thanks!! :)

2. mingoglia macrumors 6502

I'm kinda in the same boat, though I'm stepping down from a late 2010 17" i7. The only thing that's bumming me out a bit is I wish I could get the quad core in the 13" as I typically have a couple vm's going and the extra cores would be nice.

3. theKitch macrumors member

I would say that if you are considering that any version of the 13 is going to be adequate performance than the 1999 15 inch model is going to be blazing fast. Remember that the 15 is going to have double the CPU performance for anything multi-threaded. It's also got double the GPU performance with the Iris Pro integrated chipset.

If you have an iMac already the 13 is a great option for something more portable. I went 15 for two reasons. It's my only system and wanted the quad core performance for photo and video. I use a 27" external at my desks, but wanted a larger screen to get me away from the desk a little more often.