13 inch or 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boombox15, Jun 27, 2013.

1. boombox15 macrumors regular

I am in the market for a new laptop and have decided that the Retina MacBook Pro is right for me, but the question is, do I get the 13 inch or 15 inch model?

Here are the things that I will do on the computer

Use all of the pre-loaed apps
    Download more from the Mac App Store
    Use iPhoto for storing and editing photos
    Use iMovie for editing and making movie projects
    Make lots of documents in Pages, Keynote and Numbers
    Edit photographs in Aperture

Here are the configurations I am thinking about

13 inch MacBook Pro with Retina display 2.6 or 3.0GHz, 8GB RAM, 512GB Flash Storage

15 inch MacBook Pro with Retina display 2.4 or 2.7GHz 8 or 16GB RAM, 512GB Flash Storage

My current Mac laptop is a 17 inch MacBook Pro from April 2010 with a 2.53GHz processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive

My current Mac desktop is a late 2012 iMac 21.5 inch with a 2.7GHz processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive

What one should I buy?

Thanks!

2. Memole macrumors member

go for rMBP 15" 16GB of ram

as since you said that you will use it for photo editing and the 15" is way better than 13" for thiese tasks and rMBP 13" is way underpowerd when you compare with 15"

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I think they'd both be able to do what you need. But like memole said, Id recomend the 15". I believe the 13" retinas only contain a dual core processor. With the 15" youd get more RAM and a quad core processor, as well as dedicated graphics (not that youd need them), and a larger screen to edit your photos. It will be a significant difference in performance, especially over time.

4. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

see what I have bold? it's your key.
    13" model is "dual core technology" and 15" model is quad core technology.
    please select the quad-core, you will need them. and 15 retina is perfect for editing....13 maybe ussualy for mobile activity

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

I disagree. The 13" is perfectly suited to all those tasks with an external display. The 15" might be more powerful but photo and video editing are great on both.

6. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, I need this computer by July 9 and it looks like today is the day I need to place my order if I am getting a customized one.

As for configurations, I can't decide at all here are the ones I am thinking about

13 inch: 2.6 or 3.0GHz, 8GB RAM, 256 or 512GB Flash
    15 inch: 2.4 or 2.7GHz, 8 or 16GB RAM, 256 or 512GB Flash

So I would like to know not only what model to get, but also what configuration I need to pick.

7. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

What's your budget like? Because the rMBP arent as upgradable as the cMBP. All you can change yourself is the SSD. So if you can afford it, 15" 2.7GHZ, 16GB ram and the 512. So I say max what you can out to make it as future-proof as possible

Here's a refurb for $2020 (before tax), the only thing is that it has 8GB of RAM
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-26ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

8. maxosx macrumors 68020

15" 2.4 / 16 / 512 is the configuration I'd highly suggest.

I've had mine for a few months now and it's been excellent.

Anything less will cause you to second guess your decision a few months for now.

9. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

My budget is around $2900, and I don't want a refurbished one either. I still like the size and portability but I am not sure if that is worth it compared to the power of the 15 inch because my current laptop is a 17 inch 3 year old MacBook Pro that is a little too big for me. But upgrading the 13 inch processor might help.

10. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Upgrading from the i5 to the i7 in the 13" might help, but at the end of the day, its still going to be dual core. the 15" all come with quad cores. I think thats enough to justify it

you get a dual core high end at 3GHz = 2 x 3 GHz = 6
    you get a quad core low end at 2.4GHz = 4 x 2.4 GHz = 9.6

the 15" is no less portable than the 13". But at this point its all preference. The 15" would be better in the long run, IMO. But go to the apple store and play with both, see which you LOVE and get that one.

11. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately, I have no apple store near me so I can't try them out.

12. falconeight Guest

falconeight

If size isn't an issue I would get the 15. I live smaller laptops but I love the specs of the 15.

13. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Any Bestbuys?

14. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

I was at best buy last week, and I loved them both the same, although I do have to admit that I did like the 13 inch compact size, but yet the 15 inch is also very fast and cool, that makes it harder to decide.

15. jread, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

jread macrumors regular

I bought the 13" with the i7, but I was constrained by not being able to afford the 15". I love the portability of the 13" but the 15" really isn't much bigger and has way more powerful hardware. If I had a $2900 budget, I would absolutely get the 15" with 16GB of RAM, no question.

16. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

After speaking to Apple sales support last night, they said the 15 inch, however since my work is not "professional" I could do fine with the 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 512 or 768GB.

Both are very tempting options. Anybody else got advice?

17. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I like the size of the 13 for the couch. But the 13 really can't touch the 15 for specs. That said, if you are going to get the 15, get the specs to match it. Don't get specs that (minus the quad) you could get in the 13, i.e. 8GB ram.

I just bought a 15/2.6/16/512 for 2300$ and its flawless.

I can run 3 of my VMs at once, along with 10.9, all on integrated gfx, not a stutter.

18. Augustine864 macrumors regular

I struggled with this for a couple of months and then last week bought the 13". I am in love. I am coming from a 2008 Dell 15" and I was worried that 13" would be too small but I just love it.

It was hard to decide also because the 15" really is a better deal performance-wise for my money, but just because it has better specs doesn't mean I'd actually make use of them.

I use it for mostly web browsing, document writing, light photo editing, and occasionally playing a game like Civilization V. Also I will use MKV and Handbrake to backup my Blu-rays.

I stressed out about it a lot but I ended up loving it more than I even thought I would and even though the 15" is a fabulous machine, I'm so happy I have the 13" size. Absolutely zero regret.

I went with 13" i7 3.0 512GB.

Also keep in mind though, that for me coming from a 2008, anything I went with would habe blown me away.

19. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

How long did it take for you to get your 3.0GHz 8GB 512GB model?? I am thinking of buying that one and I need it by July 8th and online it says July 8-10.

I heard that they do ship sooner

Thanks!

20. Augustine864 macrumors regular

Mine was supposed to arrive on June 27 but instead arrived on June 24. I had it sent to an Apple store in Delaware.

That particular model is available in stores if you use that configuration, so you could just pick it up day of if there is someplace near you. I only ordered online because I wanted to take advantage of Discover's 5% cash back and I wanted to ship it to a no-tax state. I also had the education pricing discount.

21. cambsno macrumors newbie

Having the same dilema as the OP.

Spoke to a couple of apple stores and both said 13" will handle it fine. I use Lightroom and imovie (everything else I use is basic stuff like excel etc...).

Even using Photoshop is fine, if I was having multiple Adobe CC stuff then the 15" would be better, but 8gb ram and the 13" will do the job.

I use LR a lot, and prefer the 13" size compared to the 15", but am still torn between too.

22. foxf8 macrumors member

yea the 13 well do u just fine. photoshop not that big of a program unless you are doing 10 foot banners and such every day you would be happier with the 15 inch's quad core. only thing id say is do u plan to take your macbook around with you daily the 13 is lighter and every ounce counts in the long run. other wise if u can get that 15 inch with the quad core with your list of things u do, it would easily last you a good 7-10 years. the air do easy 5+ years

23. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

Deffo go for the 15" IMO. if your gonna pay mega money on a mac laptop might has well pay the extra for a quad core 15" but max the ram to 16gb to future proof yourself. For a few hundred quid more you are getting a hugely more powerful system with a dGPU

Only go for a 13" if you need the portability it would have over a 15"

24. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Only you will know if the 13" or 15" is right for you and your needs. Not sure how other people can decide this for you...

25. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I've personally used the 13" retina and it was sluggish, even for some of the most basic tasks. PC's shouldn't come dual-core anymore, it should be quad-core processor standard.

The 15" is perfect. It's not too big, you get much more real-estate and better specs.