13 inch or 15 inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zsobes, Aug 3, 2011.

1. zsobes macrumors newbie

I know this question comes up a lot but which one would be best for me. I am going to be a business major in college. I plan on doing writing/research, carrying it around campus, general email/web browsing as well. Maybe some video editing. I also plan on watching tv/sports on the computer, as well as maybe some movies. I like the 13 inch for its portability but the 15 inch for the extra screen real estate. Any thoughts on which one?

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

If you do any GPU heavy stuff, then get the 15", e.g. gaming, GPU acceleration required software
    Otherwise get the 13"

Note that the 15" is just as portable as the 13" once you get used to it.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

15". the 13" Macbook Pro is arguably worse than the 13" Macbook Air right now.

4. RWil85 macrumors 6502

it's a tad bit silly to compare two different machines when being mindful of the fact that one just had a major upgrade.

not to mention - that with minor, cost effective upgrades to any MBP - i doubt the same would hold true.

5. tombubi macrumors regular

GPU is the most noticeable difference between 13" and 15". It does depend how much you need it. If you do games, then 15" is your best choice though.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

the only program i can see in a business major is microsoft office, for slideshows, spreadsheets and essays.

i have the 15inch cause i wanted a bigger sccreeen and badd ass specs that i barely take advantae of.

13inch would be fine for you as long as ur not a gamer. plus its easier to carry around

8. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

9. ABadSanta macrumors regular

I'm an accounting major, and the only constraint you'll have to remember is running windows on your mac.

I have the 15" and i really like the size. The 13" is definitely enough power for you, but I like having a bigger screen

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

i have the 13", but if i were you, i'd seriously consider something like the macbook air (assuming you don't mind paying more money and might want to get an external monitor) or perhaps a mac mini, because you can probably get away with using the ipad most of the time. i'd say i get about 90 percent of my work done with it. here are some ideas:

Getting Things Done with the iPad
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1197650&highlight=

Going from Paper to iPad
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1198956&highlight=

Getting Things Done: iPad for Academics
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1189442&highlight=

at any rate, the 15" seems like a waste to me in your situation.

11. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

I love the MacBook Air's but I just have to have the nice glass display in the MacBook Pro's.