13 inch Retina MacBook Pro owners

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vikpt, Nov 13, 2012.

1. vikpt macrumors regular

For those who just bought the 13 inch retina Macbook Pro, how is it going so far? I mean, is it working smoothly with everyday tasks? And with video editing in Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere Pro and Photoshop as well is it doing just fine? Hope you guys could share and let me know because I'm considering on buying one soon and asap (also because I don't have extra cash for the 15 in. version) lol

2. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

love 13" :D so portable and thin. Liking mine so far. Got on launch day

3. vikpt thread starter macrumors regular

Is it working pretty good? :)

4. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Mine is awesome. Although, I don't use Final Cut Pro or Adobe products - just iMovie and iPhoto. Although, those apps were on the 13" display units at the Apple Store.

The 13" should handle those, but if you are going to be doing hardcore editing with huge files and exports, get the 15". The 13" as Apple says, is for the "Pro in all of us"...aka...users who want more power and pizazz than the Air but dont need the high end power of the 15" MBP.

5. PapaVBnMOMO macrumors member

I'm loving mine. Got it last week for school, and love the portability and the screen. I only have MS office and VLC on it so not really pushing it. Did I say the screen is awesome....

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Absolutely loving mine right now. The screen is gorgeous. I did have some lag issues with safari and retina support for Microsoft office. But few quick updates and minor manual commands helped resolve them.

Aside from that, its working smoothly. No IR nor any bleeding. Did some quick video editing with Final Cut and seems to be working smoothly as well.

Paid $1600 for 256Gb model, cant complain.

7. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

How were you able to only pay $1600 bucks for the 256 GB model?

8. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Found a killer deal on craigslist. Drove 45 minutes, but it was well worth it.

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Hope you don't need it serviced by Apple.

10. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

So far its good. I opened it in front of the guy and did alot of basic tests to ensure everything was good. Warranty hadn't been activated either so its since been activated. So I have a 1 year warranty in case anything does go wrong.

11. FACTON95 macrumors newbie

Really like mine so far. I also bought the 256GB version. This is my first Mac and its great. I don't see why so many people are hating on the 13" rMBP?? The 13" is perfect for me. No complaints!

12. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

It's perfectly fine, I'm mainly using it for Photoshop and Flash and both apps work as expected. The lack of a retina update for the creative suite doesn't really hurt too much because both apps seem to use pixel exact scaling without smoothing - so you see the image just the way you'd see them on a classic MBP.

The screen is fantastic. At first I thought that living with 1280x800px screen estate would be like the ceiling crushing down on me, but due to the crisp fonts it feels a lot larger than it actually is :)

I'm also very frequently using it in a scaled mode (1440x900 HiDPI) and performance seems to be the same, though you do get some smoothing. But it's still far better than I expected it to be and probably superior to an actual 1440px display.

It was really expensive - with the i7 and 256 GB upgrade, which I thought to be necessary, it was just about as expensive as the way better 15" rMBP. But i don't regret the purchase at all.

13. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Mine is perfectly fine too. Software from Adobe CS works fine ( at least as well as on my late 2011 15" cMBP ), but I can't really comment on the video part since I don't do any video editing / encoding. Video editing / encoding most likely works, but it obviously gets the job done slower than a Quad Core processor would.

The screen, footprint, weight is great. SSD write speed is ~435 MB/s and read speed is ~450 MB/s, so it's more than just decent. 720p and 1080p movies run smoothly ( using VLC for viewing ), scrolling is smooth and everything in general is just working as expected ( BTW: I'm running only on "Best for Retina" resolution... I don't feel the need to go any higher ; BUT be aware that scrolling does get choppier on scaled resolutions... it's quite expected because of the rendering and scaling that is going on in the background ).

I'm pleased with my purchase. ;)

14. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

It's been working great for me. I use it mostly for work (Eclipse, SublimeText, various database tools).

It also runs Aperture just great; I process 10MP RAW files with no problems, and I don't see why it would have issue with larger files either.

I'm still looking for this horrible UI lag that everybody keeps talking about but so far I haven't seen it.

15. scarred macrumors 6502a

Replaced a 2011 air with it. I loved my air, thought it was the best computer I had ever owned. This thing had big shoes to fill, and it did. Retina screen is absolutely beautiful... I'll never be able to go back.

Color accuracy is amazing (I'm not a Pro, but man did I mess up editing some pictures with my old Air).

Performance is really good (I did get the i7); things run very smoothly. I get to compare it to my "good" dell notebook, which has better stats than this thing, and my macbook feels a lot faster with everything.

Battery life is great. I'm comparing it to what I was getting with my 1.5 year old air though, so not a fair comparison. It easily does better, though. =)

The reviews out there are all really accurate. This is a superb computer, but it feels over priced by a couple hundred. Ah well, I pulled off that bandaid and just enjoying it.

16. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Returned mine.

Nice computer, but grossly overpriced - the screen isn't worth the price difference. (I had a 256 GB version.) $800 for a better screen and 4 more GB of RAM, with half the storage space, does not strike me as any kind of value. And as for portability, there's no difference - it's effectively the same size as a 13" MBP, and I never noticed the weight difference (and I'd wager I travel for work more than most people here).

The fact that they're turning up on eBay and Craigslist already is an interesting data point - as is that they're not selling very well according to the Apple stores I've talked with across the country. And so is the fact that they're showing up at resellers for less than MSRP already.

Nice computer, shame about the price.

17. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

$800 more than what? 4 more gb of RAM than what? Half the storage space of what? I'm sure your argument is very tidy in your mind...

As for eBay, there are brand new sealed rmbp 13s on eBay, sold by various dealers. So what? If you see a used one, something is fishy because they are within their return period if bought from almost anywhere. And I haven't even seen a used one. As for CL, if you see one below retail, again, it's suspect. And I haven't seen any used ones there either. So your points are pretty much moot. Dealers always deal, scammers always scam, no matter how new the computer is.

18. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

And even if it were true, it just means that, for a little while longer, I'm the coolest guy around when drinking my non-fat Caffè Latte in Starbucks ;)

He probably means the Air, but that costs $1,499.00 with 256 and 4 GB ram, making it $200 cheaper than the rMBP. I don't know where he pulled those additional $600 out of.

19. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I think he was comparing the 256GB 13" retina to the $1200 base 13" MBP. $800 difference. Half the storage, but 13 MBP has 500GB HDD not SSD, so thats not a fair comparison.

20. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

Oh I see, thanks. But that comparison is really bonkers. With an 256 GB SSD and 8 GB ram you're back at $1,799, only $200 less than an equally specced rMBP.

The Air would actually be a much better deal and a better example to show how "grossly overpriced" the rMBP is, with 256/8 costing mere $1,599.

21. Jeanloup macrumors regular

I don't understand the point of buying a rMBP when it is pretty clear that they will all experience image retention at some point. What will you do when it starts ? Apple will either tell you il's normal IPS behaviour or replace your screen with another one with the same issue ....

Otherwise it si a Nice machine ;)

22. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

There are none so blind . . .

A 256 GB 13" rMBP is $1999 or $1899 with student or gov't/military discount. The base 13" cMBP is $1199 or $1099 with student or gov't/military discount. The difference is, if you can follow basic arithmetic, $800. What does that get you? Half the storage space, but faster storage; a better screen, and 8 GB RAM (of which 768 MB is used by the HD4000 vs. 4 GB. You also have the ethernet and firewire ports removed, along with the optical drive. In return, you get a somewhat lighter and thinner laptop.

Those differences don't strike me as being worth $800, particularly when many need an ethernet port and an optical drive, and think it absurd to buy an all in one laptop that then requires an adapter for ethernet and an external optical drive.

As I said, nice computer, shame about the price.

23. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Are we seriously going back to arguing about there being no optical drive and Ethernet port?!?! I thought we settled that when the 15" came out 3 months ago. Were you surprised?

24. bhattsan macrumors member

Configuring cMBP to baseline of rMBP 13 leads to 1499 vs 1699 (no discounts). I think the screen is definitely worth 200 and have been waiting for apple to remove the damn optical drive for a while (used to have a hdd/ssd combo) :)

25. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Are you kidding me? Go to Apple's website and spec out a cMBP 13" with 8GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD. You get a notebook priced at $1,499. The rMBP is priced at $1,699. $200 for a WAYYY BETTER screen and a thinner/lighter design is more than reasonable in my book.

Comparing the rMBP with the base cMBP with a clunky old 500GB HDD is not a fair comparison buddy. As others have said, it's a $200 premium for a Retina display...and that's a premium many of us were happy to pay.

Oh well, enjoy your CD's, grumbling/clicking HDD, wired ethernet, and 128 PPI pixely screen. Think of all the CD's and standard def DVD's you can buy with the $800 you saved! Maybe even get one of those books with the plastic sleeves to protect the discs - HA!