Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cg399

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Hurghada, Egypt
Hi Folks,

My wife just purchased a 13 rMBP (her first mac). I've had macs for 12 years and have never had a problem that I can't solve myself, now (after a lot of persuading for her to switch from windoze) her computer arrives and I'm immediately stumped.

The issue is this, the computer came with ML 10.8.1 installed. In her App Store updates only an iTunes update (which installed no problem) and an iPhoto update are appearing.

She can't install the iPhoto update as the computer is not upgraded to 10.8.2 (which isn't showing up in the app store).

1. I tried to install the 10.8.2 Combo update, but I receive an error the it "can't be installed on this disk".

2. Verified and fixed file permissions (just in case)

2. I tried a clean install of mountain lion - didn't help

3. I tried to re-download ML from the app store and got an error "Mountain Lion is not compatible with this computer".

4. I tried to install some of the other updates that are not showing up in the app store by downloading manually from the apple website (all cannot be installed on this computer).

All of these things with plenty of restarts along the way. Also trawled plenty of forums - couldn't find a similar issue?

I hope I'm not being a numpty; but I'd be glad if I am as I have to get it "just working" soon before I hear "this didn't happen with Windows" one more time...

Thanks a million in advance in anyone can help...

C

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
I've seen this also. Appears there's an update called OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Update for 13" Macbook Pro with Retina Display. The link points to http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1603 but when I go there it doesn't exist. Call AppleCare to complain.

cg399

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Hurghada, Egypt
I've seen this also. Appears there's an update called OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Update for 13" Macbook Pro with Retina Display. The link points to http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1603 but when I go there it doesn't exist. Call AppleCare to complain.

Thanks for the response. You are absolutely right - I don't think I've ever seen a OSX update that is machine specific before - strange?!?!?

Anyway, apparently the 10.8.2 update for rMBP 13 has been withdrawn.

I've found copies of it floating around on the web from when it was released, but I think I'll pass on them as there was presumably an issue with it and also I don't trust OSX updates that don't come direct from Apple.

I guess we'll just have to wait until they reissue the update... :-(

Thanks again!

Last edited:

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
same with Mac mini 2012: ML update not available

I tried to update my new mini out of the box, there is only 10.8.1 with its unique new Core i5 ivy bridge kexts, and as you say generic combo 10.8.2 does not install "as the HDD does not meet the requirements for this install"

this is quite annoying

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Have you guys tried the internet recovery install? It will wipe your hard drive and it downloads the entire OS again. Now I don't know if it would download 10.8.1 or 10.8.2.x. The new machines were said to having a special 10.8.2 build, thus why you can't just download 10.8.2 and install it. You need the special build for those machines. It's worth a shot to see if it downloads and install the correct OS. :/

Hugh

froggyjo

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Switzerland
Same problem here. Currently rMBP 13'' can't upgrade to 10.8.2. We have to wait for a patch of some sort. Just be patient, your Mac is fine.
I hope Apple will fix it soon because I can't use Aperture right now ...

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Same problem here with me. Copied everything over from my Time Capsule, which backed up my 13" 2012 MacBook Air so far, to my new 13" retina MacBook Pro. Can't use iPhoto nor Aperture now nor redownload Mountain Lion to create a bootable USB drive. It funnily says Mountain Lion is not supported by my MacBook Pro...really? I'm running it!

Dyno-Dylan

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I have the same issue with a 2012 Mac mini I purchased this week. I found a few threads on the apple support forums as well. I've tried the solutions already mentioned in this thread and still have the issue. When I try to re-install ML it says that it's not compatible. Funny because its running 10.8.1. Hopefully a solution comes soon

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
When I got my rMBP 13", it had 10.8.1 installed. 10.8.2 showed up on the App Store immediately and I upgraded without any issues. When I got the computer, I used the Wizard to restore a TC backup from a MBA 2010 running 10.8.2.

cg399

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Hurghada, Egypt
When I got my rMBP 13", it had 10.8.1 installed. 10.8.2 showed up on the App Store immediately and I upgraded without any issues. When I got the computer, I used the Wizard to restore a TC backup from a MBA 2010 running 10.8.2.

It appears that the 10.8.2 update for the late 2012 models was withdrawn on 16th November - it was available through direct download and the app store until then.

Just out of interest, you say you upgraded without issue - have you had any other issues with you computer since the update? Seems odd that it has been withdrawn...

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
There is a growing thread on the Apple support forum. Several persons supposedly called Apple and obviously Apple pulled the update for the new mini and the new 13" retina MacBook Pro because of some issues that still need to be worked out. It sounds a little bogus because I really can't see what both the new mini and the 13" rMBP have in common that other Macs lack, but who knows...

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
I just looked. I purchased the 13" rMBP on Oct 27. Installed the 10.8.2 update on Oct 27 or Oct 28. I haven't noticed any weird behavior, so I'm not sure what the issues are.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
I just looked. I purchased the 13" rMBP on Oct 27. Installed the 10.8.2 update on Oct 27 or Oct 28. I haven't noticed any weird behavior, so I'm not sure what the issues are.

The update has been pulled for us on the 16th of November and has not been up since. For people who are using their data from a Time Machine backup which runs 10.8.2 this is a major problem. Several programs icluding iPhoto and Aperture do not work anymore, so people who want to use their new Macs for work with those programs are out of luck.

New hardware = different drivers

While I generally agree, I really don't see a big difference on the new hardware. They still use the same chips found in other products. Besides the update already did support the new hardware. For some obscure reason they just pulled it for us new owners without any explanation. While this is nothing major to me I'm sure some people who need this for work will be upset (see quote above).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.