13-Inch rMBP Future Vulnerable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rhyzome, Mar 13, 2015.

1. rhyzome macrumors regular

Does anyone think it is odd that Apple announced USB-C's incorporation into the new MBs but released the 13" rMBP only with USB-3?

Is USB-C is the new "standard" then aren't these models just asking to become obsolete?

It seems like it is inevitable that in the (near) future there will be new accessories and devices--power adapters, iphones, ipads, thumb drives, etc etc--that you'll want to use but won't be able to because they're USB-C.

Do I misunderstand the anticipated use of USB-C? I wonder why apple wouldn't release a Pro model with it?

2. nirvanemesis macrumors member

Apple probably decided that a redesign to include Type C in the 13" chassis wasn't worth it just for the Broadwell revision. Yes USB-C will be the new standard, but USB 3.0 isn't going to disappear overnight. I suspect that by the time Type C completely takes over 3.0, it'll be time for an upgrade anyway.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

USB C to A and A to C just takes an adapter. So, you just might need a couple adapters one day.

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

That's my thought too. I think for now they just updated the processors to tide people over. I expect a slight redesign with Skylake and that's when Apple will introduce USB-C to the MBP.

5. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

If by future you means 4-5 years...then yes. USB-C ports will probably be in every laptop coming out next year, but everyone doesn't buy a new laptop every year, so adoption will still be slow. You'll probably see things like USB-C flash drives that are a bit smaller, but that would be it really, as every other device could include both a standard USB cable and a C cable.

I'd guess in about 3-4 years you might see iPhone's packaged with a USB-C to lightning cable rather than standard USB (Note - packaged with...not available for sale which I think will be this year.)

6. nfranklin macrumors newbie

It's very hard to predict at what pace older technology will phase out in favor of new. Something as prominent as a USB standard is not going to disappear very quickly.

7. iPaintCode macrumors regular

iPaintCode

But companies will start pushing USB C peripherals pretty quick and make them backwards compatible. Then again USB C for a 2.5in 5400rpm external HD might be extreme overkill, but with SSD prices dropping I'm sure we will see platters getting phased out faster over the next few years.