13 inch rMBP mother board swap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vb7200, Apr 7, 2015.

1. vb7200 macrumors member

Okay, so I have a rMBP 13 inch base model, and I'm regretting not getting the RAM upgrade, or even the processor upgrade. It's perfectly fine for what I need to do now, but I'm just worried for when it starts to pack on some mileage and 4 GB RAM isn't quite enough (Which I'm betting will be soon). So, would it be possible later down the road to swap a motherboard with one that has more RAM/better processor? (I think there's a 2.9 GHz dual-core i7?) Is it even a possibility? I'm pretty sure you can remove the flash storage so losing files wouldn't be problem. At least that's what I think.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think your better off selling it and buying one with the specs you need.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

This

You will do far better financially and not run the risk of breaking your expensive computer.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Possible yes, but its just as possible if not more so, that you'll break something in the process of replacing the logic board.

If/when the time comes that 4GB is insufficient, then sell the one you have and then buy a new one.

Don't forget though that OS X has virtual memory, it doesn't stop running apps because there's not enough ram, like in the old days. All it means is that it will increasingly use the SSD as swap space.

This is the probably the major reason why I recommend 8GB on any new purchases and while I'm not hear to wag my finger, I'm merely saying by spending a little extra and getting the 8GB, you get peace of mind that the ram won't be an issue in the future :)

5. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I wouldn't try to make any adjustments to your current laptop. Sell it on eBay and buy what you need.