13 inch rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cpm619, Jun 18, 2012.

1. cpm619 macrumors newbie

Right now I am leaning towards getting the new 15 inch rMBP. However my concerns lie that I would prefer a 13 inch laptop but the air just doesn't cut it for me with performance (gaming/video editing). Would it be worth it to get the 15 rMBP now and then sell it when the 13 inch rMBP comes out hopefully in October? How much do you think I will lose? Also Do you think the 13 inch rMBP will have a dedicate GPU?(this may be the deciding factor)

2. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

If you don't want the laptop then don't buy it is my advice.

No one here knows when (or if) the 13" rMBP is coming.

Now this is just my opinion, but I think Apple might simply update the panels on the current 13" Pro and maybe the Air.

I don't think it makes sense for Apple to have a 13" Pro, 13" Air, and a 13" Retina ... My guess is that the Pro is on the way out.

3. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I don't see you losing more than 300 bucks. I was wondering if the 13 in rmbp would get a dedicated gpu also, but apple would have to figure out the heat issues.

4. boomboom2 macrumors regular

I think you would lose more than 300 bucks. The rMBP would be around 2400 after tax depending where you live. Come October you could sell around 1800. A rMPB would cost around 1500 is my guess. With taxes that would be around 1650. That's a loss of around 450. Is it worth that much for the immediate satisfaction or should you just wait?

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

There will definitely be a Retina-display equipped 13" MBP, it's just a matter of time. No one really knows when that time will come, though (among other quesitons: will Apple shoehorn in a low-power discrete graphics chip, or will they wait for faster integrated graphics from Intel?). But yeah, this really just comes down to "how much money are you willing to spend to have the 15" now, until a 13" comes out," and really only you can answer that one.

6. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

No way to know for sure but i would expect the 13" inch rMBP will probably not have a discrete GPU.

7. samac92 macrumors 6502a

My prediction: 13 rMBP around October with no dgpu. Why? Because that's what the analyst said who got almost everything right about WWDC.

So I'd say it's unlikely the rMBP will be much better at editing in terms of performance. I'm personally waiting for the display alone.

8. sacricide macrumors newbie

What really confused me is if the 13 inch rmbp is nearly as portable as the air. At the same price when the specs are matched up...who will the air appeal to anymore? If pro-retina is 400 more than base model... The small taper on air really going to matter to anyone at substantial decrease in performance? The air series loses appeal one the rest of the pro lineup gets thinner no?

9. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Do we really want a retina 13" MBP considering it won't(or rather; will likely not) have a dGPU? The iGPU will have to struggle to do any type of work, unless you're just surfing the web and similar things. Or am I wrong?

I agree that the 13" MBP should have an updated screen, but retina is perhaps pushing it too far?

10. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I think the intel hd 4000 is not capable of handling retina display quality just yet. There is too little video ram and the performance plainly sucks. If Apple does provide a discrete card, I wonder how they will manage to place everything.

11. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I would also like to see one soon but it kinda makes more sense with Intel's Haswell processor line coming next year. Then the integrated GPU would definitely be enough.

My hope would be that somehow they manage to squeeze in a discrete GPU (or wait for Haswell). Even if it's a lower powered one like a GT640M or GT630M.

13. sacricide macrumors newbie

Unless I'm mistaken
    The resolution will be lower since its 2 inches smaller. Could happen without a dGPU but regardless
    The price would directly compete with the AIR line. And be almost as portable.

14. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

I'm actually curious how a 13" MacBook Pro in the same vein as the new 15" MacBook Pro even fits into Apple's product line-up, as it would eliminate nearly everything that currently distinguishes the 13" Pro from the 13" Air. Take away the optical drive, large hard drive, FireWire and ethernet ports and the only remaining differences would be screen resolution and processor used. Seems Apple would almost have to put discrete graphics in the redesigned 13" model just to justify the added bulk it'll carry over the Air.

15. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

The video RAM would be 512MB if 8GB of system RAM was included, so not too shabby.

16. RickG macrumors regular

well no one knows what's gonna happen with the 13 pro- I hope they make it super thin and retenia - the air and pro 13 will be very similar which could suggest a cheaper air - would be nice to see apple offer a battery slice for the 13 pro that would give a full day battery life - either way I sure wish they would get the 13 pro retenia out soon.

17. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

Yes, the HD 4000 might support retina resolutions, but I very much doubt is performs flawlessly. Retina resolutions are quite a bit of stress for an integrated card, and rMBP 15" users are already complaining about scrolling lag while working off the integrated HD4000.

I honestly believe that ultra-high resolutions require a dedicated GPU to perform comfortably.

18. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

For normal UI usage the HD4000 would be fine, its the scaling of rapidly changing vectors that will probably cause noticeable lag, apps like cinema 4D et al...

To be honest I'd be happy with 1440x900, 1280x800 is really annoying, its the only thing putting me off buying it right now.

19. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

It does a pretty decent job on the 15" retina. Considering the 13" would be a lower resolution, it would do an even better job.

20. sacricide macrumors newbie

This is what I'm thinking. Otherwise if the 13 inch gets deticates gpu. It doesn't just blow a Mac AIR out of the water but spec wise will compete even with the 15 inch series at a lower cost. Usually GPU was the only difference to justify getting 15 inch. So if anything is changed they'll probably use a weaker GPU.

21. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure why you say that it does a "pretty decent job" on the 15" retina, because I tested it at the Apple Store and the screen lag was noticeable while running under the HD4000.

22. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

We speak about a 13" screen, not 27".

----------

I support 16k displays!

----------

Correct, they Apple drivers for the HD 4000 are substandard.

23. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Yes, we all know some people are experiencing some lag. It happens, but it's all blown out of proportion. The truth is, if it was that bad Apple wouldn't have used the HD4000 at all.

Now, I'll say it again. The HD4000 won't have to power quite as high a resolution display as the 15" retina, probably a 2560x1600 which would only improve performance.

"But it won't do as well with video editing and gaming"....since when is the 13" meant for high end video editing and hardcore gaming? It'll run portal fine, and do some light photoshop but thats all the 13" is meant to do. It's a basic consumer laptop not the high-end that the 15 (and previously 17) are.