13 inch too small

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Aug 13, 2010.

?

13 inch screen

1. 13 is too small

46 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. 13 is good for daily use

130 vote(s)
    73.0%
  3. 13 is too big 11.6 macbook air would be better

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. tim100 macrumors 65816

is a 13 inch notebook too small for daily usage.

2. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Seriously? Another post =.= What is too small? What is too big?

Once again... is really depends on what you do on the laptop~ If you mainly do web, email and stuff~ 13" is perfect

3. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

That's totally a personal preference. IMO, I think the 15" is much easier to use for daily usage.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes.
    No.

It depends on the applications you use for your daily tasks.

In other words, what are your uses and needs?

Btw, there are two question marks missing, unless you made a statement./?

5. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

6. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

13" MBP would be better if the screen resolution wasn't crap and Apple didn't force on us the glossy display (I want a display, not a mirror).

7. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

8. jahall macrumors newbie

I've had my 13" for a week and certainly wouldn't trade it in for anything larger. I find it to be the perfect size and it's way easy to carry around in my backpack and set up/shut down, so it's great for me as a highschooler. I don't put too much tax on the machine and so didn't need the higher specs in the larger screen (and didn't want anything bigger than 14"). I use it for iTunes, YouTube/DVD play, light GIMP editing, SketchUp, and email/im/etc. It's also the perfect size for reading e-Books :)

Also, I don't find the display that bad at all - in fact, it's great. The only time is seems even slightly mirror like is when it's turned off. When it's on, however, I see no reflection. Even when I use it at work or in the living room/kitchen.

9. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

+1.

In the end, It all comes down to preference.

10. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I think it's good for daily use, helps if you have an external monitor for the times were you need more screen space, photo editing etc.

11. Marat macrumors newbie

Yes, too small. I like multiple windows open while working on things. 13 is too small to do that effectively. If I'm going that small I'd rather get a netbook.

12. ZazenZach macrumors member

the only computer i own is a 13 in macbook pro

works out great for me. perfect size to put in your backpack and take to class. i do everything on it (including playing games like cod4) and havent found much problem.

ultimately i think 15 in would probably be the perfect size. small enough to carry around and big enough screen estate for gaming and movies.

13. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

While I agree in a lot of ways the 15" MBP can be the 'perfect size' and I try and use my 15" as often as I can for me it just hasn't turned out to be a good 'take everywhere / use anywhere' notebook.

My computer is used at least 10 hours daily for business and personal tasks, from entertainment, heavy work, video's, forums, 20 tabs open at a time kind of usage.

I've thought the bigger the screen the better, that's true in many cases, I have a 65" TV and love it, my 24" ACD is really nice, although I rarely use it.

I'm a CEO and can get 20 to 100 emails a day, plus I always like to checking the pulse of the business throughout the day. Our offices are 95% Mac's now, we have anything from MBA's, MBP's iMac's and MP's... I can use any computer I like, including a Sony Z, Lenovo x301, a few Dell's plus blackberries iPhones etc.

As it turns out for me the 13" MBP is currently the best notebook on the market for my needs. While the display on the 15" is beautiful it is too bulky for a computer I'll take from my desk to my lap on the couch, deck, kitchen, car, cottage, meetings etc. On the other hand the 13" is real easy to grab and go you can use a smaller backpack / messenger bag too. 7 hour battery life, sd card slot, 256ssd, 8gb ram my 13" is very fast, screen is perfect I really like it. Wish it was lighter, thinner and narrower without the wide bezel, and of course an AG option, no perfect notebook yet.

The Air, it's a great computer, would be my choice if the battery lasted longer, had more ram and ran cooler.

14. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

You made a thread about the 17 inch being to big

Now, about the 13 inch being too small

What's next? "15 inch too average"

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I voted for it being too small as I think the 15" is the perfect size and the 17" being the big sized.

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

You mean 15" being the perfect size. ;)

17. robvas macrumors 68020

The only time I regret not having the 15" is when I am working with Interface Builder.

1280x800 stinks. Even 1400x1050 or whatever the next bump up would be, is much better. You can't beat the portability of the 13" though.

18. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

another poll? *sigh* ... what's next "Glossy vs AG?" ... oh no you did that already.

the 13" isn't too small, it's the resolution that sucks.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

20. Kaviar macrumors member

Kaviar

The issue is... You can only cram so many pixels in a space before it becomes too 'populated'.
    My sister has a 12" notebook with the same resolution as the 13" MB/MBP but it's a lot harder on the eyes. You could raise the DPI but then the screen get's full far too quickly and your back to where you were with the smaller resolution :(

As for the physical size of the MacBook's, me personally... I prefer the 13" for it's portability. A 15" is still portable but a looks massive and sticks out your sat in a coffee shop etc... but that's just me.

I also agree with what's been said about price. It has a huge baring on things.

21. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Its fine for a consumer notebook. Web, msn, iTunes, iLife package etc. Heavy video and photo editors can either get a larger screen MBP or separate monitor.

Wouldn't mind a res bump though

22. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

i don't get what you mean. the only issue i can think of with more pixels in the same screen size is that text *might* get too small for some. I personally prefer it though, my Dell precision m65 had 1920x1080 in a 15" body. I even think the 1600x1080 of the MBP15 HR is kinda too big.

errr the Macbook "pro" a "consumer" laptop? :D

23. mcnicks macrumors regular

I wouldn't want the resolution on my 13" Macbook Pro to be any larger. I hate having to work with tiny UI elements and text.

24. Kaviar macrumors member

Kaviar

Pretty much.
    To focus on the 12" screen on my sisters notebook my eyes seem to have to work harder. If I use the family 15" laptop or any other screen in the house I'm fine.
    I just think that there's a limit to how large a resolution you can have on each screen size before it becomes uncomfortable to read. Might just be me...

25. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

It's not just you, for a lot of people these resolutions are IDEAL:
    - 13" --> 1280x800
    - 15" --> 1440x900

If I were in the market for a 15", I'd take the low res.
    And, for the same reason, I don't want the 13" to have an higher resolution than 1280x800. Until OSX become 100% fail-proof resolution independent, like on the (admittedly far simplier) iOS. (in the transition from SD to Retina Display NOTHIHG got smaller). Till that day, no matter how many work arounds you can use to tweak OSX for the hi-res screen, there will always be that menu or that UI element that just plain feels too small. Not to mention web pages: Safari STILL doesn't allow you to set a default zoom, you have to CMD+++ every friggin time. Or use Firefox.

Also, with low-res displays you can play most games smoothly at native res, both on the 320M @1280x800 and on the GT 330M @1440x900. For the first 1-2 years at least, and for all the past games. On hi-res notebook displays, you're often forced to go into "blurry mode" (non-native res gaming) since DAY ONE.