13 inch unibody water damage

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Shameless Riot, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Shameless Riot macrumors newbie

Another one of these I know. I was startled from sleep on Wednesday awaking and knocking over a cup of water I stupidly had next to my MB while lounging and watching a documentary. I am usually so careful with all of my Apple products but this moment I regretfully was an ass to my precious item.

So of course it booted down and would not turn back on. I did attempt the power button once but to no avail immediately. I had snatched the cord out the side (which was still full green after the shutdown) turned it over and watch a light rainfall pour. I had a mini meltdown while searching over the forums for a solution. Tried the rice trick from 4pm Wednesday to about 8pm yesterday. It did not turn on, though I plugged the adapter in just to see if it would still respond and it had a faint green power light.

Today I'm having a relative take it downtown to peach mac to access the damages, as I'm too worrisome to keep at the drying process.

At the very least I'm wondering if my HDD is salvageable as I have important files and close to home items I'd like to retrieve. So my question is how do I go about this? I've read up on SATA cables and external harddrives but I'm not as technologically advanced as I'd like to think so I need some advice.

I'm willing to go that route early as I am not in the place for an Apple based repair right now, where I know the logic board is likely the issue and that will scrape near the cost of an entirely new Mac.

Thank you.

Edit: A note I forgot. A few minutes after the accident the fan went for a good 10 seconds, blowing as if I had been on the laptop for a long period of time. Not sure if that's good or bad.

2. Service Droid macrumors newbie

Typically the hard drives of liquid damaged laptops are not affected though in your situation it does sound like the logic board has been. This unfortunately will be uneconomical to repair.

Once the hard drive is removed from the machine all you need to do is buy a 2.5" SATA enclosure, available on eBay very cheap, and plug it in via USB. It is a very simple process. When you see the connection on the hard drive and the connection on the enclosure you will see ow simple it is.

I have seen many machines with various states of liquid damage and it is very rare for the hard drive to be damaged so you should be ok in that regard.

----------

Oh yeah, get an external hard drive too and BACK UP YOUR DATA!! :D

3. Shameless Riot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. Indeed the verdict is he is done for. I've gotten the parts needed to remove the HDD so I'm wondering whats the best way to store it[\b]? I don't wanna leave it in the Mac just from fear and can't get the enclosure until Wednesday.

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

For the drive an anti-static bag would be ideal.

for the macbook logic board there are services through microreplay.com that repair liquid damaged computers. contact them for their rates theyre usually fairly reasonable but depends on cost of repair vs new machine. so it is possibly salvageable