13 inch vs 15 inch : Build quality difference

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dsnio, Dec 24, 2016.

1. dsnio macrumors newbie

Hi guys. I was using 13 inch MacBook Pro Mid 2015 for a year. But recently bought the 15 inch MacBook Pro Mid 2015(custom configured to 512GB SSD) which is still under the return period. Right out the box I could feel the display hinge isn’t as tight as the 13-inch, shakes bit easily. The trackpad is equally sensitive but have a bit softer vibration feedback for the click(for the same clickiness setting in System Preferences->Trackpad) and the same thing for the keyboard too. The keys are are softer in feedback(not wobbly) compared to the 1 year old MacBook Pro 13 inch. Considering I’ve spent a hefty amount for this machine and will be definitely using it for 5 years max, Should I worry,

1. whether the display hinge will become even more looser overtime?
    2. whether the keyboard will lose it’s original feedback soon and the same with trackpad too?

First of all I’m not sure whether the Apple Tech guys will agree to my claims and just think I’m crazy.

Second of all by requesting a replacement, Am I just wasting my time because again I may get a device with something else?

What do you guys say?

2. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

I'd return it/ request a replacement. I haven't had a 13' so I can't comment on the trackpad, but the hinge of my 2015 15' is extremely tight, after over a year of usage. I can shake the computer harshly without it moving at all.

3. monkeydax macrumors 6502

If I'm not wrong, this is very intentional as the hinge is weighted perfectly so you can open the lid without holding down the base, so it's alright. Had my mac for 2 years before the screen got replaced(delamination of the Anti Glare coating) and it probably only became very slightly looser.

4. dsnio thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I can adjust with the hinge. But the keyboard and trackpad is something that bothers me much. In the retail box it's written the date as 12/2016 which I guess is the manufacturing date. Does that matter? Maybe all Macs manufactured at late 2016 has this feel. Maybe all the custom configured model has this problem since not straight from the factory. What do you say?

5. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

You paid good money, return it and see if the next unit is better

6. dsnio thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a gamble because again I may get a device with some or other problem.

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

He hinge should not shake, mine does not , hence I believe a replacement is the way to go

8. dsnio thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the hinge doesn't make the display shake while carrying but the keyboard and trackpad softness is something which worries me post.

9. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Are you in a position where I can try other units? An Apple Store ? You should be happy with your new machine

10. dsnio thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking about the same but the display models will be very used ones. So can't take that scenario for comparison. Considering this is custom configured computer and seeing many people having some issues out of the box, by requesting a replacement, Am I just wasting my time because again I may get a device with some other problem?

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I see your thought pattern . And I agree .

I bought my 2015 refurb, I would highly recommend that . To be honest in these situations I usually order a replacement, compare the two And keep the better one, if I have doubts about the first one.

12. dsnio thread starter macrumors newbie

But won't Apple Store ask the first one to be returned before issuing a replacement?
    PS: Please keep in mind that this is a custom model and takes at least a week to arrive.

13. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

its worth having a chat with AppleCare . They will give you some options.

I'd recommended a refurb still though, if you can get one