Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The MacBook Air continues to be available in 13- and 15-inch sizes after Apple's latest refresh that added the M3 chip. The 15-inch MacBook Air offers almost all of the same hardware with a significantly larger display, yet there are still some key differences that are worth considering when purchasing one of the machines.

MacBook-Air-Multiple-Sizes-Feature.jpg

The 13- and 15-inch MacBook Air models are almost exactly the same in terms of feature set and design, both sporting high-resolution Liquid Retina displays, Touch ID, two Thunderbolt ports, and much more. Both machines can be configured with the exact same amounts of memory and storage, and they are both available in the same color options. This simplifies purchasing decisions to just a few important aspects.

Key Differences

13-inch MacBook Air15-inch MacBook Air
13.6-inch Liquid Retina display15.3-inch Liquid Retina display
M2 or M3 chipM3 chip
Starts with 8-Core GPU10-Core GPU
Four-speaker sound systemSix-speaker sound system with force-cancelling woofers
Integrated 52.6-watt-hour lithium-polymer batteryIntegrated 66.5-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery
30W USB-C Power Adapter (with 8-core GPU chip) or 35W Dual Port Compact Power Adapter35W Dual Port Compact Power Adapter
Starts at $999Starts at $1,299

It is important to note that while the 15-inch MacBook Air has a battery that is 13.9-watt-hours larger than the 13-inch model, both machines have the same 18-hour battery life. This is likely due to the increased power consumption of the larger display.

If you plan to heavily use your laptop's built-in speakers, the 15-inch model offers a worthwhile reason to get the larger model, offering two extra speakers inside the larger chassis. The smaller MacBook Air also misses out on the force-canceling woofers that are present in the 15-inch model, meaning that its audio isn't quite as good.

Since size is the main difference between the two MacBook Air models, prospective customers may wish to drill into the specific dimensions and weight of the machines. The 15-inch model adds 0.6 pounds (0.27 kg) and may be more difficult to get into a bag or backpack due to its larger footprint.

Dimensions

13-inch MacBook Air15-inch MacBook Air
Height0.44 inch (1.13 cm)0.45 inch (1.15 cm)
Width11.97 inches (30.41 cm)13.40 inches (34.04 cm)
Depth8.46 inches (21.5 cm)9.35 inches (23.76 cm)
Weight2.7 pounds (1.24 kg)3.3 pounds (1.51 kg)

While the 13-inch MacBook Air with the M3 chip starts at $1,099, making it $200 cheaper than the 15-inch model, if you choose the 13-inch MacBook Air with a 10-core GPU, this price difference shrinks to $100. If you add the 35W Dual Port Compact Power Adapter, the difference shrinks to just $80. With this in mind, most users considering an M3 model should opt for the 15-inch model since it provides much more screen real-estate and better speakers.

You should only buy the M3 13-inch MacBook Air if you specifically want a lighter, more portable device and are concerned about having to carry a device as large as the 15-inch model around. Likewise, the 13-inch MacBook Air is a better buy if you are price-conscious and don't need anything more than an 8-core GPU and the 30W USB-C Power Adapter. The $1,099 13-inch model is still quite a bit more affordable than the 15-inch MacBook Air, with virtually no compromises in terms of features.

The 13-inch MacBook Air is also available with the M2 chip for $999. This is the MacBook Air Apple introduced in mid-2022 and it now represents an entry-level model. If affordability is your main concern, this 13-inch model is the best choice, coming in at $300 less than the 15-inch M3 model.

Article Link: 13-Inch vs. 15-Inch MacBook Air Buyer's Guide

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Think the 15" is now more or less the best default MacBook for most casual users. 13" if portability is really, really important to you, or a 14/16" Pro if you need the most power, but the 15" occupies a really sweet spot in the lineup in terms of form factor, features and pricing.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Very impressive and I'm shocked Apple Inc didn't seek to jack this price as I expected before the reveal. It seems to be THE Apple laptop for anyone, even up to modest "power users." I've never purchased less than a MBpro before, but I have to say I'm tempted to save money and shift any "heavier lifting" to the desktop Mac.

I thought my next laptop purchase would be M3 MBpro, but that is pretty shaken by this model.

Last edited:

VietKinh

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2023
Below freezing
Very impressive and I'm shocked Apple Inc didn't seek to jack this price as I expected. It seems to be THE Apple laptop for anyone, even up to modest "power users." I've never purchased less than a MBpro before, but I have to say I'm tempted to save money and shift any "heavier lifting" to the desktop Mac.

I thought my next laptop purchase would be M3 MBpro, but that is pretty shaken by this model.
So, would you take this (with 16GB/512GB) model over a base spec M1 MBA 16" for the same price? I'm very curious, because I still want the Pro.

• Love
Reactions: miq and u+ive

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
While the 13-inch MacBook Air starts at $1,099, making it $200 cheaper than the 15-inch model, if you choose the 13-inch MacBook Air with a 10-core GPU, this price difference shrinks to $100. If you add the 35W Dual Port Compact Power Adapter, the difference shrinks to just $80. With this in mind, most users should opt for the 15-inch model since it provides much more screen real-estate and better speakers.

You left out that there's also a 70W USB-C power adapter option for them too. It's $20 more on the 13-inch 8‑core GPU MacBook Air, but $0 on 13-inch and 15-inch 10-core GPU MacBook Airs.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
So, would you take this (with 16GB/512GB) model over a base spec M1 MBA 16" for the same price? I'm very curious, because I still want the Pro.

The pro brings other benefits, so this is truly an "eye of the beholder" choice. I suspect M-series will suffer the mysterious A-series "slowdowns" to become "long in tooth" on macOS upgrades. If so, I suspect M1s will mysteriously start slowing down as we move through time. No reason for that- as there is no reason on A-series too (but don't worry, the cheerleaders will certainly come up with reasons)- but I suspect it anyway.

As I own an M1 Ultra, I hope not but there is only one precedent available and that happens there every few years... so why not with M-series chips too? Do it and people buy new Macs more often. Don't do it and people stretch how long they can use their Macs. Only one of those gives Apple Inc. fresh doses of new Mac money more frequently.

With that perhaps unfounded expectation in mind, if I was buying now, I'd favor M2 Air for myself. I've realized I can generally save the most demanding tasks for when I get back from travels and perhaps just do the prep work for it with a device like this. If I could wait a bit and really wanted MBpro, I'd wait for M3 (for both the big leap forward and this suspicion if it turns out to apply).

One other point: for those people like me who must have Windows too (for work), the other option is get a primary use Mac and a Windows secondary. For example: primary use Mac desktop and Windows laptop (or vice versa). That buys full Windows (not just ARM Windows and not PC-by-forever-subscription) when needed and that secondary device can cost a lot less than Mac, especially if one wants "more" RAM or SSD. About HALF the budget of a loaded Mac can buy a LOT of PC.

Choose a dock for either type of laptop and an "open" monitor that can handle BOTH inputs and let secondary double as desktop too, when you need the other OS for something in the primary workspace.

For the "road warrior" types who don't absolutely need MAX Apple on the road with them, that combo seems to be Windows Laptop + Mac Desktop + maybe an iPad or iPhone for some Apple on the road.

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
MacBook Air is undoubtedly a great computer, however do you remember how proud Steve Jobs was pulling the original one out of that envelope during the presentation? The whole point of Air was to have a very light and portable computer to carry around. So to me it feels kind of sad to see Air getting bigger and heavier.

IMG_0809.jpeg IMG_0808.jpeg

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Given that the M2 and MBA redesign were introduced approximately a year ago, routine sales and refurb on the 13” M2 MBA, I would say the M3 MBA is due late 2023-early 2024 in keeping up with the approximate 18 mlnth refresh cycle for AppleSilicon.

This 15” M2 MBA May very well see a refresh late this year which leaves this in the iPad 3 (Retina Display) to iPad 4 (Lightening Connector) scenario.

This is not meant for a M1 owner and those who can wait till later this year would benefit as M3 May very well bring over 18hrs of battery usage and Ray Tracing (anyone catch this mentioned in Apple Vision Pro) abilities.

At this point a refurb or even a good sale on a 14” M2P MBP would be better as the display is better and more ports.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
MacBook Air is undoubtedly a great computer, however do you remember how proud Steve Jobs was pulling the original one out of that envelope during the presentation? The whole point of Air was to have a very light and portable computer to carry around. So to me it feels kind of sad to see Air getting bigger and heavier.

View attachment 2213862 View attachment 2213863
Good you feel for the marketing as the air was design to be thin and light not necessary small.

The envelope reveal was to make it standout from the netbook craze of the day. MBA Rev 1.0 was horrible and very limited.

I liked my 11” MBA very portable and 16:9 ratio screen great for movies and needed an external monitor for productivity.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Good to have a larger Air at this price point. Both the 13" and 15" Air are great laptops.
Should have been released a year ago with the 13”. We are nearing M3 introduction timeframe of approximate 18 months.

M1 MBA/P = Nov 2020
M2 MBA/P = June 2022
M3 MBA = ~Nov 2023

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
What is the comparison of screen resolutions?

We do not want Macs to gain iPad-itis, where the bigger screen brings no functionally greater usable space with the same resolution!

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
The whole point of the Air was to make it portable. 15" is way too big to carry around. For me, 13" also fits perfectly under the external monitor I use at home.
Believe it or not however there are elderly people who want a bigger screen and lighter computer for around the house and not for travel.

Different strokes for different folks.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Think the 15" is now more or less the best default MacBook for most casual users. 13" if portability is really, really important to you, or a 14/16" Pro if you need the most power, but the 15" occupies a really sweet spot in the lineup in terms of form factor, features and pricing.
Except that the 16GB/512GB configuration should be thought of as the "default" configuration (especially if comparing with MBP), which at $1700 removes some of the sweetness.
I expect several will jump in and say 8GB is fine. Yeah well, sure, it can be, so good luck with that.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021

View attachment 2213862 View attachment 2213863

The new one has a 2" larger screen and is only 0.3 pounds heavier than that Air. I think Steve would be just fine.

What is the comparison of screen resolutions?

We do not want Macs to gain iPad-itis, where the bigger screen brings no functionally greater usable space with the same resolution!

13" is 2560x1664, 15" is 2880x1864. The same as the older 13/15" Retina MacBook Pros, with a few extra vertical px for the notch area.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
2008 13" MacBook Air specs

Height: 0.16 inches to 0.76 inches
Width: 12.8 inches
Depth: 8.94 inches
Weight: 3.0 lbs (1.36 kg)

2023 13" MacBook Air specs

Height: 0.44 inch (1.13 cm)
Width: 11.97 inches (30.41 cm)
Depth: 8.46 inches (21.5 cm)
Weight: 2.7 pounds (1.24 kg)

The current 13-inch MacBook Air has less width, depth and weight than original MacBook Air. The original MacBook Air might have been thinner (0.16 inch) in some areas, but it also was thicker (0.76 inch) in others compared to the all-around thickness of 0.44 inch now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.