13 inch vs 15 inch MBP....Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bruceray, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Bruceray macrumors newbie

I am between two computers:

Is there a big difference between:

13 inch MacBook Pro retina 2.4 ghz i5, 256 gb, 8 gb ram
    Vs
    15 inch MacBook Pro retina 2.0 i7 quad core, 256 gb, 8gb

Is the 15 inch that much faster or should I get the 13 inch and upgrade the ram to 16 gb..but for the price, wouldn't it just be better to get the 15 inch??

Please help!!!

2. Ai-apple macrumors regular

I was in the same boat. I went to best buy to compare the 13" vs the 15" side by side. Putting the internal spec aside, for me, it's all about size and weight. I ended up ordering the 13" with the internal spec that would fit my needs.

3. apptastic macrumors newbie

I'm having the same dilemma !
    I might not upgrade the RAM, but thinking of upgrading the SSD to 512GB.

4. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

If the 15 is Quad-Core, vs the 13's Dual-Core, there will be a noticeable difference. But it depends on what you use it for.

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I think a bigger question is which size screen is more suitable to your needs. For the most part, performance should be fine with either for most people's needs.

6. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

For many apps there will be negligable differences between the two.

Really depends on what you spend most of your time doing. Daily Video and large photo files then go for the 15". If not the portability of the 13" can be a factor in your decision.

good luck

7. Bruceray thread starter macrumors newbie

But is the 15 inch that more powerful? Especially because it's i7?

8. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

There used to be a dual-core i7. You need to know which chip you're getting.

First of all, what are you planning to do with this machine?

9. moxxey macrumors regular

Agreed, but the big advantage of quad-core comes when you run a virtual operating system, such as Parallels. I run Windows 8 in Parallels, rather than Bootcamp and it runs like a dream when you allocate 2GB of RAM and a couple of CPU cores. You can switch between OS X and Windows, on the same Mac.

This isn't quite as effective on a dual-core Mac.

Another advantage of the 15" is like using an iPad Air over iPad Mini. Yes, the smaller Mini is perfectly usable, but once you get used to the larger size of the Air, the Mini hurts your eyes. The 15" MBP is the same. I used a 15" MBP for a year, switched to the 13", which lasted two weeks. Just couldn't cope with the smaller panel, for daily use.

10. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

good points...no doubt...really depends on what your usage is. I found the 15" too big for my needs.

And my power usage is more modest than most.

cheers

11. Bruceray thread starter macrumors newbie

I would be using it for: Internet email word quick books videos music pics and etc. I just want a computer that will last me 4-5 years with no regrets. I bought the 15 inch MacBook Pro retina, just debating if I should get the 2.4 13 inch with 16 gb ram.

12. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

Unless by video and photos you meant Serious Editing of videos and photos, then the 13" will do you fine.

By Serious, I mean heavy Photoshopping, not mild adjustments in Lightroom or iPhoto.

13. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

Pick the screen size you prefer, and get the base processor with 8 GB RAM.

If you want to BTO something, upgrade to a larger SSD.

You do not need more than 8 GB RAM. You do not need a higher-clocked CPU.

Unless you're earning money based on how fast you computer runs, it doesn't make sense to pay extra for a bit more speed.

Choose between 15.4" and 13.3" by which physical size and weight you're more comfortable with.

14. Bruceray thread starter macrumors newbie

With the stuff I do, will I notice the processor spead or the ram more? I was told quad or dual won't make a difference for what I do

15. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

There is still an I7 version on the 13 rMBP available, it is the 2.8 ghz model

16. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

I would have to disagree. Dual core will work fine with a VM as long as you have 8gb of ram.

17. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

I have an older 13" MBP and have just been considering a new laptop. A big internal debate for me was whether to go 13" or 15" this time around (I've always had 13-ers). I'm not a super-power-user, so either size can be built up to more power than I need - so that's not a factor for me (can't tell if it is for you or not).

As I get older my eyes are not as good as they used to be, and wearing glasses while using the computer is a pain (it's at an awkward distance, not close like a book, not "far"). So for me it comes down to two "opposites":

1) 15" has nice, large screen. Ahhhh.

2) 13" has nicer (for me) form factor. And it just seems more "efficient" with the keyboard just fitting the base and etc.

Now, the current 15" is the same weight as my older 13", so I know I can handle the weight, but.... I like to use the computer on the couch, propped up in bed, etc. I also will pick it up and carry it around, use it in the car, on small tables, etc. For those things I just feel the 15" might be a bit "bulky." Those small differences in size kind of double when you open the computer, if that makes sense. Is it doable? Sure. But.... as much as I would love that larger screen, I think the 13" is probably more me. It's the form factor.

I really want an 11" with a fold out screen :D

I actually was so unsure between the two that I decided to soup up my current 13" with an SSD and wait a while to buy a new one, but I figured I'd type out my thoughts in case they would be useful.

18. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

well it depends on what you want to do with macbook pro? I am an artist I prefer to work with large screen.

19. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

Neither. Don’t waste your money on processor or RAM upgrades. Get the base processor and 8 GB of RAM.

I mean, if you want to waste money on upgrades where you’ll never notice a difference, that’s your choice, but it’s a waste.

You’re better off saving that money and either upgrading the SSD to 512 GB, or doing something else with the money entirely.

20. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

It won't based on your above comments (and assuming that you're not doing a lot of music and video editing).

If, however, you are editing fairly seriously, or you game, or you want to run Windows in a VM, you'll probably want the 15".

>

21. Bruceray thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm prob going to go with the 13 inch MacBook Pro retina 2.4 ghz 8 gb ram and 256. It looks like it can get the job done

22. fskywalker, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013

fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I would suggest to add 16gb of RAM

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If you're slightly undecided, buy direct from Apple. They have a return window without a restocking fee. Third party resellers have their own return policies.

24. PDFierro macrumors 68040

People worry too much about the power differences between the two sizes. You won't notice any difference at all for what you will be doing.

25. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Just realized that I had quoted the wrong post, and thus completely confused my point...

...which was that the 13" dual core will be fine unless you're serious editing, gaming a lot, or often running VMs intensely.

>