13" laptop most suitable for Hackingtosh ootb, and GPU?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stefan1975, Aug 9, 2010.

1. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

Since the MBP13 is a little underwelming, I have been trying to order a MBP15 by phone 11 times now (long story, different thread) and by now my basket amounts to over €2000.

I have been wondering if it's not an option for me to buy a 13" pc laptop and go the hackingtosh way until sandy makes it into a true decent MBP13.

Does anyone know / have experience with good quality (asus, toshiba, lenovo, sony) 13" laptops thaqt work 99% out-of-the-box without the need to purchase wifi or bluetooth dongles to make base stuff work?

And assuming that the "optimus" technology apple uses is software based, would it be odd to asume that an intel IGP/nvidia 310 combo (most often used in pc laptops it seems) would also be able to use graphics switching? And if not would it run on intel IGP only or use the nvidia all the time?

thanks!

2. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i did see that one, none of the lappies that are on my shortlist are on that site though. They mostly seem like larger laptops. and I am assuming 10.6.3 vs 10.6.4 won't make much of a difference? It also didn't explain a lot about graphics switching between intel/nvidia.