13" Late 2013 vs 13" Mid 2017

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pep_dj, Jul 24, 2017.

1. pep_dj macrumors newbie

I have a rMBP late 2013 13". I'm thinking about replacing it with a rMPB mid 2017 13" because of better processor, lot of faster ssd, etc... Do you think is worth the update? Will I notice a lot of performance improvement? (I use it mainly for 2D game developing).

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

It's about 4 years faster and you will see an improvement across the board, obviously.

Whether you need it or not is up to you. If you find your current machine slow and sluggish then you'll benefit. If you think your current machine is perfectly fine, you'll get the new one and complain it isn't making your life better for $XXXX or something.

So if you want it, grab it, otherwise hang on.

3. pep_dj thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't find my current machine slow and sluggish, but more speed will be great. Also, I like the fact I can use my external screen at 4K 60Hz with the new Macbook (my current machine can only achieve 50Hz using switchresx). The only thing I don't like about new machines is the lack of ports (I don't want the one with touch bar, and it has only 2 usb-c ports).

I think I won't upgrade now. I'll wait to next year machines, so the performance improvement will be bigger, and they may add some extra ports.

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

They'll be sticking with USB-C as it's far more convenient than individual dedicated ports on a machine. You've got any port you want with USB-C as opposed to a fixed HDMI or whatever, x4+. So don't be put off by it, USB-A ports aren't really that great as nothing is USB-A is it? It's USB-B, Micro-B etc. HDMI is okay, but it's DP, or DVI, or even VGA. Basically one port becomes 10 instead of running out of USB and being stuck.

I really don't think you'd notice a 10hz difference in a display, seeing as 50/60hz are basically the same thing.

Next year will bring ever so slightly faster machines as it always does. But you'll be waiting for 2020 for a new redesign. Either way if your current machine is fast enough you will not notice any difference in speed, and would probably think it's not a very good computer. Just wait till you NEED a new computer, and not simply WANT a new one. Then you'll get the best upgrade.

5. pep_dj thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right, USB-C ports is the way to go. But only 2 ports for a "PRO" machine... that's not the way...

About the 10Hz, well, I can notice it. Things in my external monitor doesn't move as smooth as they move on the laptop screen.

I think that's the key: upgrade when I really NEED, no when I simply WANT.

6. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Only as UK TV is 50Hz, US is 60Hz, so 50/60Hz is usually the same thing. Can you perceive this difference when not told which is which? It only has 2 physical ports, but remember each can be expanded into an array of other ports. If you had 2 multi-use docks for instance you could have as many as 20-30 ports on there. These things you cannot do with regular USB.

Either way the nTB model is the entry level, yes it has 'Pro' in the name of it, but it's status as a 'Pro' machine largely depends on what you do with it. If you type letters and watch Netflix for a living, it's probably great. If you're a software developer or designer, then no it's not that 'Pro'. Same goes the other end, an author might think a top spec 15" is overpriced. Really depends on your needs and perspective.

But yes, if you simply get these things when you want them you'll go round in circles trying to debate nuances of points on which is best, weighing up this or that, buying returning, endless. Then there will be a new computer in just a few months you should probably wait for, then it goes around again... Just get it when you need it, it's a simple decision then. "Do I need 15" with 1TB?", If answer 'Yes', go buy.

7. pep_dj thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I can perceive the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz (I'm a game developer, always trying to get 60 fps in my games).

I want the nTB model because, as a software developer, I use a lot the function and escape keys, and I prefer pressing keys instead of a touch screen.

Having a USB-C hub on my desk is ok. But having to carry it everywhere is not. It has only 2 ports, if I use 1 for charging... only 1 is left. When I'm charging my current MBP, there are also available 2 USB ports, and 2 thunderbolt.
    I hope next Macbook Pro generation will have more USB-C ports in nTB version.

8. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

To be fair I wish the nTB had the 4. Only reason is restricted pipelines in the chipset I believe. But hopefully as costs come down they'll be able to add the other 2.

Business wise that works for Apple, maintain price point and add 'features'. So it's plausible that 2018 nTB would have the 4.

I'm a designer so everything has normal keyboard shortcuts, never had to rely on F keys, always hated them myself as was always quicker to hit CMD+Q instead of F2. Esc is pretty easy though as it's the one on the left.